The Other Guys

From the Vanderbilt Cup to the next Grand Prix, the cars, drives, teams and politics.

The Other Guys

Postby meteorite » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Usually up here the Indy Car races are on a pay channel (TSN2) and I don't find the few trailers of racing they squeeze in between the long stretches of ads worth paying for. And TSN does not go side by side in its ad space.

However this weekend they actually allowed us our glimpses of the Watkins Glen race om the basic service channel, TSN. We still only got to see cars in motion only occasionally, and our local heroes (Tracy and Tagliani) moped around the back in clearly non-competitive cars, but it was a beautiful day and the Glen was its usual pretty self. They even showed some pictures of the spectacular gorge at Watkins Glen State Park, which brought back many delightful memories.

Still too much nursing of tires and fuel, but the racing was fairly competitive, if only between Penske and Ganassi teams, though to be fair I think those there may have seen some interesting squabbles for position among the back-markers.

Didn't seem to be too many there. The place wasn't exactly deserted in the helicopter views, but there didn't appear to be much jostling for elbow room at the fences, either, and the grandstands looked more like practice than race day.

But I imagine they'll do better when they turn up in Toronto i two weeks, where rumour has it the race has been sold out for some time.
meteorite

Re: The Other Guys

Postby meteorite » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:02 pm

Wonder if they're leftovers from the G20..... :?:

Honda Indy gets federal infrastructure funds

Norris McDonald
Motorsport Writer
Jul 05, 2010

There was good news for commuters in today’s announcement that the Honda Indy Toronto is getting nearly three-quarters of a million dollars from the federal government to spend on the temporary street racing circuit.

Gary Goodyear, minister of state responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, told a news conference this morning that the owners of the race, Green-Savoree Toronto, can spend up to $772,000 of federal funds on new walls and fencing for the track at the CNE, where this year’s Honda Indy will be held July 16-18.

Goodyear said the money will come out of Ottawa’s budget for infrastructure and safety improvements in southern Ontario, where all the components will be manufactured.

Kevin Savoree, president of Green-Savoree Toronto, said it’s time to replace the 30-inch-high walls and 12-foot-high wire fences that have lined the course since the race was first held in 1986.

He said his company will be spending, in total, $1.5 million on the improvements that will make it easier to build the track for the 2011 race as well as make it safer for the drivers.

“The new walls will be a metre high (39 inches) and the new fencing will be higher and thicker. We will be able to put it up and take it down more quickly and efficiently and a bonus is that this will have a positive effect on commuter traffic during construction.”

Savoree said, for instance, that it can currently take up to five days to build the Lake Shore Blvd. W. portion of the track, which requires lane closures that can lead to lengthy delays, but the new infrastructure will bring that time down to two days.

“In racing, we say some situations can be a win-win,” he said. “I’d say this is a win-win-win-win.”

Arch Wilcox, vice-president of marketing and sponsorships for event sponsor Honda Canada, acknowledged the support of the federal government and reminded those present that Friday will be free at this year’s Indy.

“The Honda Indy is a great family event and everybody will be able to attend free of charge on July 16. All we ask is that people make a small donation to (children’s charity) Make-A-Wish Canada. If they can, great. If they can’t, that’s okay too. Just come and have fun.”
meteorite

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:07 pm

PT had a pretty strong start, but had some tire wear issues, and then was caught out by the timing of the cautions. I didn't see much of Tags in the race. He's been fast this year, but hasn't had the results to show for it.
Dan

Postby meteorite » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Of course both Tracy and Tagliani will have "home court advantage", Tracy being a native of one of the districts within Toronto, and Tags because the crowd will support their own. But how much will it matter? This year it seems the top two teams, with occasional outbreaks from the Andetti group, have pretty well monopolized the top of the points standings, leaving every one else to squabble over tenth place.

But at least the hoopla should be fun, Friday practice will have free admission, and the supporting races have tended to be pretty spectacular too, especially the NASCAR North (Canadian Tire) stockers on the street track.
meteorite

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:57 pm

The Penasskis seem to be unbeatable on the big ovals, but the smaller teams have a shot on the road and street circuits. Also, Tracy will be with KV Racing for the Canadian rounds, which I think is a small step up from D&R. I don't know that he or Tags can win it, but they might be close enough to make things interesting.

Speaking of support races, I'll be interested to see what kind of a car count Trans Am can generate for Toronto. They had a solid 19-car field for Road America, followed by a sad 5-car turnout at Lime Rock. I'm afraid the concrete canyons of a street course, with a very high risk of body damage, will discourage the local GT-1 club racers from coming out to play.
Dan

Postby meteorite » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Points well taken. I know from a spectator's point of view, all of the city courses look terrifyingly narrow and an invitation to massive damage in case of even the slightest error or mechanical failure. But the racers do turn out, seemingly at all of them. Are they that confident the guy who crashes won't be them, or is the money enough to offset eh risk? I'd be curious to know how the drivers and owners really feel about it.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:08 pm

The race this Sunday is on a premium pay channel I don't have, and the ABC broadcast is likely to be blocked. (All very complicated, but different countries, different broadcasting laws).

I ought to be able to pick up a streaming live tv of the race, but don't know how. I assume I'll need to go through an American proxy, unless someone has a general feed where something like JonDo would work.

Any advice will be welcomed.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Well, as it turned out the ABC signal was not blocked, so I got to see the race. Seemed like the guys up front played it pretty cagey, with Will Power staying cool while racing hard. Dario Franchitti gave a very creditable performance, though we'll have to see how the engine issue plays out.

Pity about Tracy and Taglianni; they were of course the local heroes, and both made expensive errors. Pity, because it looked as if Tracy just might pull something off, with a promising strategy, but one unforced error and that w\s it. Not that a number of the other drivers couldn't say the same.

Every year the course seems narrower, the walls higher and more opaque. Almost like racing in a tunnel, and a lot more runoff space is desperately needed. Even so a good race though with more cautions than desirable, and a decent crowd that seemed to enjoy it. Looks like racing is back in town.
meteorite

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:20 am

Quite a bit of carnage. At least when I'm shouting at the TV, I'm not falling asleep watching the race. Disappointing unforced errors by PT and Justin Wilson. At least J-Wil salvaged a halfway decent finish.

In the lady's division, solid runs by Danica and Simona, just by keeping out of trouble, and a solid decision to park Milka once she started getting in the way.

And congrats to Will Power, showing what he can do in the car that he deserves. Just gets old seeing the same two teams win every week.
Dan

Postby meteorite » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Astute observations and yes, I also agree with the invocation of the 107% rules. Especially on a track that tight, we do not need a constant problem with rolling chicanes.

According to the local paper, the bump between Schecter and Tags was no accident - it was a deliberate payback for an incident last year. Seems Tags stormed down the pits after the chequer and confronted TS, who told him it was a favour returned (in suitably colourful language). If so I think IndyCar should invite Schecter to refrain from returning to their series. NASCAR may see racing as a contact sport but it has no place in open wheel.
meteorite

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Nice run by PT today from the back to first in the non-Penasske class. Very questionable call against Twinkletoes in the end. I'm not a fan of Castroneves, but it sure looked like he was robbed of a win to me.
Dan

Postby meteorite » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Yes, PT does tend to respond to the home field syndrome, and Edmonchuk though a long way from West Hill is still Canada and brings out his fans in droves. I also thought his minor collision was more his being sinned against than sinning.

I got diverted for about 30 seconds as it looked like the race was about over, only to come back to find Scott Dixon leading and no Castroneves in sight, though the results banner showed him in sixth. I also saw his attack on the timing tower though I couldn't tell what provoked his ire until I read about the penalty in the paper this morning.

Anyway, it did seem that Will Power got thoroughly diddled by the dirty digit of destiny; he really earned the race. Still I guess it's like chess - the guy who makes the second last mistake wins. So all credit to Scott Dixon who carefully positioned himself to take advantage of any break and knew what to do about it when it appeared.

I liked the Burke Lakefront Airport track in Cleveland and Edmonton is close;y similar, which makes me happy. But it would be nice if they could make it just a little longer. Versus was also very remiss in keeping us informed about the state of the passing assist buttons on the various cars.

Just hope the remaining races are on networks I can access.
meteorite

Return to Open wheel racing