Maintainence

Building, or rebuilding, your own vehicle, including personal experiences, tips and techniques.

Maintainence

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 pm

Every so often, my fleet of cars (4) need oil changes at the same time. One of those events is approaching. All four are due in the next 200-300 miles. It isn't so much the labor to do it---I just drive one up the ramps, and do the deed. Takes about 20 minutes per car. It's where to put all the oil. I currently am down to one 9 quart drain pan, and the nearest oil recycle place is about 5 miles away. Both the Edge and the Taurus hold 5.5 quarts, the Caravan 5 quarts, and the Focus 4.5 quarts. I used to have 3 drain pans, but they are made so shoddily these days that the threads on the plastic caps just wear out, and then it leaks. Back in the day, I had a real nice metal drain pan with a funnel that would prevent the oil from splashing as it drained. Can't find those anywhere, now. I probably should look online. So, I guess I'll have to shell out another $8-$9 and get another pan. Then I can do at least 3 of the cars without having to go to the recycle.
Jay

Re: Maintainence

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:07 pm

I pour the used oil back into the 5 quart jugs the new oil came in. I also got a big green drain pan at Wal-Mart a while ago, probably holds a good 20 quarts. I've only had to change both the Fords at the same time once, and by the time I was done I realized that the van was definitely designed for fleet service while the F-150 left me pissed off and covered in oil.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Return to Rolling your own