What we've been doing lately

Events of the day meaningful to you.

Re: What we've been doing lately

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 pm

:lol:

Too bad I haven't seen any of those Saturns.... Most of the sub-$1000 cars are either mid 90's GM crap (Pontiac Grand Am with 180,000 miles and no overdrive, anyone?) or late 80's-early 90's big V8 RWD sedans and a few late 80's early 90's work trucks, bare bones, no A/C, 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual and 2wd. The big problem here is the tinworm, and I'm slightly more worried about a unibody missing the rocker panels than I am about a body on frame car or truck with no rockers, provided the actual frame checks out fine.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Don't know why, but in our market anything under $5000 is not worth looking at. Mind you, before ownership can be transferred, any car in Ontario must be provided with a full vehicle history, certificate of mechanical fitness based on a pretty comprehensive, if not too stringent, inspection by a mechanic who can lose his licence if he does something wrong, and an emission test at a government facility. This tends to raise the vendor's costs significantly. There are still private sellers, and curbsiders (criminal offence) masquerading as private sellers, but most transactions are through licenced dealers, so at least the likelihood of a Buemi moment at the first stop sign is minimized.

Another glorious day, but the knee remains painful - I think it will be a problem for a few days yet. Mrs. M. is out burning up the electrons in her camera on her own garden flowers, now in full glory, and the neighbourhood flowering trees. There is a cherry tree down the block that aligns beautifully with a magnolia also in full bloom, but unfortunately phone and cable wires run through it, spoiling the picture. But spring hath sprung.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Rinsed off and dried the Caravan and Taurus. They were clean, but had a layer of pollen on them. This is a daily ritual until the pollen abates.

Changed the oil and filter on the Edge. Took a load of junk to the landfill. Many more trips are in store as we clean out the ''clutter'' in the house.

I got a haircut at the local barber shop. I've been going there for 18 years. Rocco's Barber Shop. Rocco, Terry, and a lady whose name I can not remember. All three do a great job. Rocco is originally from Italy, a naturalized citizen . He's been here for decades...he still-a speak-a with-a da Italian accent-a. Terry is from England. He was a muckity muck for security for the British Embassy for 30 years. Married an American gal, and when he retired, went back to his first love, barbering. Right nice chap. He stopped smoking cigarettes cold turkey 13 weeks ago. He was a 4 pack a day guy. So far, so good.
Jay

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Sweet. Thanks, MG.... Might go look at it.... Trouble is I won't have $1500 until a month from now. :P
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 pm

What?? You want Sean to go into debt to have the thrill of owning a car, paying for insurance and maintenance, and attempting to have sex in the all too small back seat??? It's his dad's fault, for having so many children. Had proper precautions been used, all that money being spent to support Sean's 30 brothers and sisters could have been used to buy Sean that 2010 Shelby GT 500.

Besides, the very back seat in the van folds out into a bed, which is much more conducive for practicing procreating.
Jay

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Jay, the back seat doesn't fold into a bed but it's PLENTY big for fooling around, I can assure you that. :mrgreen:

MG, I'll look at it this weekend. Two exams Thursday and I work Wednesday and Friday. :lol: No other time to get at it..... And I'm legally a child in this idiotic state until I'm 19, so I don't know if I can sign on a loan. That, and debt is the last thing I want right now. :P
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Huh! Maybe because you have the 15 passenger van? Or, Ford might have discontinued it to save money. My '92 had it...of course, it was the 7 passenger configuration...4 captains chairs and the rear bench seat. Again, I have to say that it was the nicest van I have owned. It was 18 years ago on the 18th of this month that I bought it......paid cash, too....$22,000.00
Jay

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

The 7 passenger vans have the folding rear seat, I think, but none of the 4-wide seats do that.
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:54 pm

Wow!! Three of us on at the same time.....hold the presses!!!!

How come MG gets a (+) in front and behind his name....did he pay extra??
Last edited by Jay on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Neither a borrower nor a lender be

For loan oft loses both itself and friend..

Shakepeare showed Polonious as a stuffy old fart, but did put some good advice in his mouth.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

My Irish grandmother used to say those exact words to me ad nauseam....
Jay

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 pm

If he screws ya, MG, you just tell his girlfriend's dad that Sean is taking liberties with his daughter in the back of the van, and you've got the pictures to prove it. That should take care of everything.
Jay

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, the bipolar peace/war game is on peace, so I'm hoping that holds out for a bit longer. Thanks for the offer, MG. I'll keep it in mind.

And Jay: I hate you. :mrgreen:
Sean

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

He'd be too busy worrying about whether or not the car would start to even consider getting it on? :mrgreen:
Sean

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm

I also may have a female and vehicle problem. We deposited the cheque for the trailer in the bank today, and as she was getting back into the van Mrs. M. remarked "now that we don't have to pull a trailer, we can afford to get something smaller".

Well yes, we can afford pretty much whatever we please, but she picked a bad time. I was staying in the van because my knee seems to be getting worse despite discreet droppings of Tylenols and applications of heat. Two things the van has going for it: the seating position is tolerable to our backs even on long trips, and getting in and out is possible, even if not comfortable, when various parts of the anatomy get rebellious, as the do with age. It also can keep my walker easily accessible and limit the lifting into the storage area. Accessibility is hard to achieve in just any old vehicle.

Meanwhile the dermatologist reassured me that the mole that was changing colour and shape was simply a benign keratosis, and no cause for worry, and gave me some stuff to help where the straps of my CPAP mask had been irritating my ear. So all in all a tolerable day. And I did get the laser printer installed to the desktop computer last night.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:44 pm

I guess you may have to spell things out to Mrs. M, and put your foot down, so to speak. Besides, why waste your money on another car when the one you have is perfectly fine and suits your needs?? It's not like you are going through a tank of gas a week...more like a tank of gas a year in your case..

Today was pleasant, with temps in the mid 70s. I got the front and back yards mowed, took the trash to the landfill, the used oil to the recycling center. I spent about a 1/2 hour kicking Sabaka's soccer ball for her. She loves to chase it, then carry it proudly around the yard. Then she brings it back to ''boom-pa'' (that what she calls me...that's what I'm told, anyway) to kick it again. She loves the frisbee, too.

It looks like ''we've'' decided on a medium/light shade of green for the family room. The sample looks nice, and should blend in well with the pale green that the kitchen is painted in (the rooms are next to each other).
Jay

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Well, the Safari is fifteen years old, even if it only has close to 100,000 miles. It is running well with no major issues. I will be facing annual driving tests starting this August; who knows how long I'll keep passing? And how long till something comes up that requires my doctor to take away my keys? The van has only two airbags - a topic no one cares to discuss in the context of what airbags can do to elders with osteopenia or osteoporosis. (If your bones will break spontaneously, what's a hit from that eighth airbag going to do?). I like the high seating position and believe it helps considerably in my driving.

But the thing has a turning circle like a supertanker and is no comfortable fit in any parking space. Its width can make navigation down side streets tricky, especially ours where every block has an old house under demolition and its replacement under construction, with all the lineups of badly-parked construction vehicles that implies. It's very utilitarian; perhaps we should think comfort in our old age? But buying a new one, how many years would we get out of it for the big pile of dollars it would cost?

Anyway, the question and its answer are very far from cut and dried, so |I don't know how we will jump.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 am

You've been talking about the Transit.... Ever considered just test driving one? They're not 'pretty" but they're good on gas, have a ton of room, and I thought the one I crawled around in was a damn nice vehicle. Step in should also be a bit lower.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 pm

The Transit looks very attractive, but the model and goodies I'd want, after taxes, would likely come in somewhere well north of $36K. And that poses a dilemma, because my wife doesn't drive and my daughter has her own car.

According to the actuaries of my pension fund, in my cohort a half of us will likely die within the next four years. So obviously there's a 50% chance I'll be among them. Which would mean I'd have spent going on ten large per year just in purchase costs for a by-then depreciated vehicle my heirs couldn't use. And the idea of such spendthrift behaviour just galls me. But there are no used ones on the market, the model is new.

In Ontario, your doctor is required to notify the government to lift your keys if he sees a condition that could make you a danger on the road. I have nascent cataracts in both eyes, an artificial hip and broken back that could act up at any time, heart and lung conditions, and keep developing things like my muscular problem I have today with my knee. I could end up spending $20K a year in cost only to have it pulled from under me. Again, it simply offends my thrifty soul.

Something else I could look at is a used Chrysler minivan - they are good well thought out vehicles, but are front wheel drive and prone to costly transmission problems.

Or I can put what it takes into keeping the Safari running, and then wonder what sort of dimbulb decision that was when I am still pushing it around ten years from now, with everything wearing out and breaking and replacements increasingly unavailable - and remember breakdowns when you're in your 80s are not the simple things they were when you were young.

So you see, Sean, it is not an easy call. I can just say the hell with it, spend the money, I can afford it easily and what else am I going to do with it - but would I be happy with something so against my grain, and how would I feel if my back went and broke again, as can easily happen anytime?

Ad no, I have no way to know how I will jump.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:48 pm

With the Safari having only 100,000 miles on it, the ease in which you can get in and out, and the cargo area for your walker and other essentials, prudence dictates that you keep the Safari. Like the Taurus, kazillions were made, and there are plenty of parts available, whether from a junk yard...er, excuse me....an auto recycling center, or the after market. If Mrs. M has a problem getting in, go ahead with the plans for running boards. Even if you have to spend $10,000.00 on it over the next few years, which I would find highly unlikely, given how little you use it now, you will still be ahead of the game. That way, you still have dependable transportation, and, if you should be unable to drive any more in the near future, you wouldn't have ''thrown away'' $30,000.00 that you and Mrs. M could use for better purposes.
Jay

PreviousNext

Return to This day in my life