What we've been doing lately

Events of the day meaningful to you.

Re: What we've been doing lately

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Replaced 2 more ceiling fans yesterday. This makes 4 done over the weekend. It's nice to have quiet fans. The others were at least 18 years old, and the motors were making noise. The new ones all have remote controls, which makes life much more pleasant...or me more lazy. Mowed the front lawn, washed the Taurus. Today, the plans are to replace the plug outlets in a couple of rooms, do some caulking in the front room (what would've been called a living room), which is the next room to be painted, and sit on the deck a while and watch the birds. I'm gonna have my camera with me to take pictures of my feathered visitors. They are all doing the ''chase the female'' routine. It won't be long before there is nesting going on. Oh, and the disgusting grackles have returned, after an absence of several years.
Jay

Postby Sean » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Got the lawnmower started and mowed the lawn at the cabin. Had to drain the float bowl in the carb and dribble some premium and lucas fuel stuff into the spark plug hole to get it to fire up, but once it did it ran. Primer bulb must not work anymore. Hope I don't have to do this every week.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Beautiful day, pure blue sky dappled with clouds, let me out for my health walk and small gossips with the neighbours. Not much action on either carnuts board and the Sunday paper is thin, so should have time to open up and install my new printer. Not feeling as vigorous today, likely due to a more restive sleep last night.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:48 am

I just finished replacing all the door knobs and related hardware with brushed nickel knobs throughout the house. Why does Lowe's charge more for dummy knobs than for the real thing? Example--the complete door knob kit for a bedroom door..two handles, the related mechanisms and hardware, cost $10.00 . One dummy knob, for a door that is held closed by a magnet, no mechanisms, is $7.00....just for a knob and two screws.

Another beautiful day out. Highs expected to be in the low 70's. I'm on my way to take the old ceiling fans to the landfill, then have to wash the Caravan. It's almost golden in color with all the pollen on it, and it hasn't been washed for a couple of weeks.

Sabaka is stretched out in the middle of the back yard snoozing. She loves the warmth of the sun. What a life. I'm almost envious...too bad they have such a short lifespan.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

I always keep the boxes major toys come in, they're useful when you have to take them in to the shop for service. So I went downstairs to get the box the old printer came in. It's big - about a foot and a half square by a foot high with bright red panels on it . big and obvious. But I spent an hour searching for it and still can't find where it is. Nor can I find a substitute box big enough to swallow the printer. So I still haven't got the new one opened and installed.

Feeling tired again but finally went out for my walk. Chill breeze but again bright and sunny. Spring is here with a vengeance; the trees re starting to leaf out, the first flowering bushes are in bloom; lawns are an incredible green and growing like there are little men underneath pushing up. A couple of neighbourhood lawns have early daffodil bulbs planted right in the and they are green carpets with flowering tufts - very pretty. Some birds to be seen but nowhere near the number we should have and are used to - like just one mourning dove looking for a girl friend?

The squirrels are numerous, fat and sassy. When I got up this morning, there was one wrapped around the feeder, gnawing away, and another below fielding the spillage. Neither could be scared away (I can't make noise without waking Mrs. M, which is not a wise thing to do.) So I went out and renewed the coat of lubricant on the squirrel guard, which should keep them frustrated for another six to eight weeks. We'll see.

Wish I felt a little more energetic, though.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Got the laser printer out of the box and moved into position in the "office" last night, with luck will get it up and running today. Tore the back of my hand open reaching under a shelf; my skin tears and shreds if you look at it, even though I have been off prednisone for a couple of years now. Have to figure out a way to keep the bandaging dry when I take my shower.

Another lethargic day but did take my walk and got basic things done, but I wish I had my energy back.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:42 pm

I replaced the wall sockets in the front room today--6 of 'em. Then painted the ceiling. The room is 24' x 12'. The walls are prepped and ready for paint. Just have to pick the color. Then that will leave just the family room, which is also 24' x 12', to do. One of the walls in there (of course, a 24' one) has wallpaper on it that has to come off. I like it, it's a southwestern US type of design, but it's outdated, so the paper must come down. At least the ceiling in the family room doesn't have to be painted. That is where I have two huge bookcases with a lot of my science fiction books, so those will be packed in boxes, not to see the light of day again until South Carolina, whenever that day comes.

Today was cloudy with occasional showers, the high was about 58. Tomorrow the sun returns, with a high around 65. I'll be mowing the grass again tomorrow. I cut it at a 3" length, and it's growing so fast now, I have to do it every 2-3 days, or it'll look like the hay mower was here with the rows of cut grass left behind. At least the rain got rid of the pollen for a while, and washed said pollen off the vehicles.

Met, on keeping the bandage dry....try putting a zip lock bag over the hand. Tape the end around your wrist with gauze tape or some type of medical adhesive tape....or, wrap the injured area in plastic wrap. That should last long enough to keep it dry while bathing or showering.
Jay

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:41 am

There's always the latex (or equivalent) glove and a waterproof yet relatively non-sticky tape.... Forgot what it's called...
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 pm

A nice day weather wise. The temps hit the high 60s, the sky was blue with a few puffy cumulus clouds. Sabaka stayed out all day, had a ball running around the back yard.
I got the front and back yards mowed, washed the Taurus and touched up some spots I missed on the front room ceiling last night.
I did forget to get crickets for the gecko (Earl), but will get those tomorrow.
''Modern Family'' is on tonight on ABC at 9PM ESDT. It is very well written and very funny. I highly recommend it. At 10PM EDST on Comedy Central is a new "South Park", where all the actors that have been shit on over the years sue South Park for damages. That, too, should be very funny.

It was a slow day on .us and here, so not much to post.

How ya doin', Met?? Getting any energy back? Did you have a change in meds that might bring on this lethargicness?
Jay

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Another nice day. Temps on the mid 70s. Got the front room painted...it's gonna need another coat, and it's not the shade the wife thought it was going to be...a little lighter than what she thought. So, the second coat may be a darker shade.

Turned 5lbs. of ground beef into hamburger patties. RIght now, steak is marinating for supper. Will also have mashed potatoes, corn and salad. Supper is at 6:30. Capitals vs. Canadians at 7:00. Go Caps!!
Jay

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:10 pm

I think it was nice out today, but I was still having spells of fibrillation, when all I want to do is lie down and go to sleep. Slept in very late so managed breakfast, and only fell asleep over the paper a few times. But of course had two days of carnuts to catch up on.

Projects on hold include completing the installation of the new printer, as in plugging it in and loading the software. But last night Mrs. M. got hit by a drive-by trojan, the scareware that tries to extort the price of a malware eliminator out of you by cluttering up your screen with bogus warnings, and messing with your defensive measures. This one is generically the axe.exe trojan, and is hard to stop or eliminate.

I do not propose to pay off the extortionists, but it will take some effort to cure the intrusion. Basically I have to download and install Malwarebytes, in the face of my install.exe function being blocked. It can be done; I'll report when I have it done.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Hang in there, Met....you'll be back in 4th gear before you know it.

Great hockey game tonight. The outcome was disappointing for us Capitals fans, but I ain't complaining. Both goalies were fantastic. The Canadians managed to keep Ovechkin at bay, and about 13 minutes or so into overtime, they scored the winning goal. Game one to Canada. We'll see what Saturday brings (6:30PM EDST). I wouldn't mind the series going all 7 games. Makes things exciting.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Got progressively sicker yesterday and when I tried to eat lost my dinner. So priority one was to phone the doctor this morning. But the first call back wasn't the doctor, it was my insurance company telling me to come pick up my cheque Monday for the trailer. Good, we were pushing the deadline and getting worried. Actually the doctor's call interrupted (I have call waiting) so I told the insurance guy to call back, which he did. Doctor told me to take some Gravol for the nausea which I later went out and bought and which seems to be working so far.

Then the phone rang again, and a new voice announced it wanted to buy the trailer. I told him he would have to buy it from the insurance company. Actually the insurance company can't sell it, they will send it to a salvage year that will. My guess is that he will end up paying less than the insurance settlement for it. One more worry off my mind.

Got the new printer hooked up and software installed. First reaction: colour laser printing is pretty snazzy. I'll have to experiment more, but I think the printer and I are headed for a very comfortable relationship. And the price was better than right, as Staples had it on a four-day special.

At lest some things are looking up. And, a friend of mine is coming down this weekend. He's offered to bring me a couple of six-packs of Quebec microbrewery stout. If he makes it, that's going to be real nice.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Good news about the trailer. As you said, one worry off your mind...to be replaced by another, no doubt.

The beer will kill any germs inside you. Make sure you have several.

Today was, once again, another nice summer day. Highs in the mid 80's. I got the oil and filter changed in the Taurus, and the Edge is due again. We put 3000 miles on it in the last 3 weeks. The odometer is just about at 70,000 miles.
A cold front has moved in, bringing thundershowers. The temp has dropped to the high 60s. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 59, as is Sunday's. I wish Mother Nature would make up her freakin' mind!!

It has been decided at the highest authority that the front room will get a second coat of paint, a couple of shades darker than what was put on. It seems the original paint chosen matches the entry way exactly, and the higher authority doesn't like that.

Bought the dog another 40lb bag of dog food. This will last about 2-1/2 weeks. She gets fed once a day, but is constantly running in the back yard, so she is in great shape. I should follow her around...no, I better not...I'd probably get a heart attack.
Jay

Postby Jay » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Got the second coat of paint on the front room. This paint was a shade darker than the original, and looks much better. The higher authority is pleased. Also got the new cover plates on the new wall sockets and light switch, put the curtains back up, and the furniture back where it belongs. Then got started on THE LAST ROOM to be done...the family room. The higher authority has half the wallpaper stripped (I can never remember if it's stripped or striped. I know one is a stripe, and one is a strip...) off the one wall that has it...it's coming off fairly easy.
Also got the front lawn mowed again. This makes the 4th time in 2 weeks. Spring is here. The temps, though, were cold...maybe 60 if we were lucky, with a strong wind. I actually had to wear my sweatshirt and wool cap to keep warm....but I did have my shorts on.
Watched the Capitols win game two of the playoffs against the Canadians...again in overtime. Series is tied, now. I was worried, as the Canadians were up by 3 goals at one point. Final score--- 6-5. Overtime went 30 seconds before Backstrom scored the winning goal, as well as getting a hat trick for the night. Next game is in the Bell Centre in Montreal on Sunday.
Jay

Postby Sean » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 am

I worked and then went to see my girlfriend. Somehow mentioned 24 hours of LeMons in front of her dad and we spent an hour reading through the rules and regulations. I may have created a monster, he runs a small shop and has access to seriously cheap cars. And has kinda wanted to do this for the past few years. Needless to say, girlfriend is less than pleased at the idea of her boyfriend and her father engaging in potentially life threatening hoonage. :mrgreen:
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Sean: yes, I'll bet! Still, if sometime in the future you think you may feel the need for a partner, having her old man onside cal be a definite asset. Though then, of course, her mother may also come into play... Relationships!

The doctor decided that my listlessness implied a GI bug, so had me take some Gravol. It wasn't ideal but I was able to sit up and take nourishment and keep it down. Had a visitor from Montreal, which took a while.

But for what I was mostly doing, see Computers!
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Well, it seems that we did beat the invader on Mrs. M's computer. It has also had the side effect of making her aware that I won't necessarily be around forever to help her out when such things go wrong, so she is showing a sudden healthy interest in learning a bit about the internal workings. This is all to the good; females are, in general, significantly more longer lasting than males, so being able to cope when the old fart's gone is always a good thing. She'll make geek status yet! I've already shown her where the controls for the board are to be found, though not how to use them, but she'll know just in case.

More gorgeous spring weather, with migrating strangers visiting the feeder and birdbath. We're going to need a flock of sheep for the back lawn soon. Mrs. M. put a plastic jug over the tulips to thwart the squirrels; for some reason they don't like daffodils which are in their full glory. The neighbours cherry tree is out, and our volunteer apple tree is coming fast. Even our linden tree, a notorious late bloomers, has fat green buds on the branches. We are entering our most beautiful time of year. A nice drive as went up to pick up the settlement cheque for the trailer today.

The Gravol seems to have restored my appetite and settled my stomach, but now I have a very sore ligament on the side of my right knee. I think it simply reflects an unfortunate sleeping position, and Tylenol seems to keep it tolerable, but it may be a while before it goes away. Such is life.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Met, you need to smoke a little weed for the aches and pains. It does wonders. Good for the appetite, too. Make discrete inquiries in the right places, and I'm sure you can get hooked up!

Just finished watching the Capitols put a beating on the Canadians at Bell Centre....5-1. That puts the Caps up 2 games to 1 in the best of 7 series. Wednesday night is the next meeting, also in Montreal.
For some reason, the Habs fans don't like Ovechkin.......

The wife had her colonoscopy today. No problems. The doc said she's good for 7-10 years before she needs another. My first one is next Monday.

Got the family room already for painting...the higher authority just has to pick out the color. She makes like I have a say in the decision, but I know it ain't really so.

I also got the ceiling tiles replaced in the guest suite. There were about 15 12x12 tiles that had big holes in them, mainly from the florescent lights that used to be out there. The previous owner didn't put in proper receptacle boxes, just punched holes in the tiles for the wires and screwed the lights to the furring strips. So, when I replaced the lights with regular ceiling lights, I had to put in gang boxes. I've been putting this off because I knew it would be a pain in the ass, and it was. I can tell what tiles were replaced, and , being that this is the first time I've worked with these 12'' square tiles, I was on new ground....but, the higher authority liked the work, and, as I've told her, she said that if you don't point out the mistakes, no one will notice.

The weather was nice, got up to 67 degrees. I got the back yard mowed on top of everything else. Tomorrow the Edge gets washed, and the oil changed.
Jay

Postby Sean » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 pm

My parents have become increasingly insane (specifically my mom) and so I'm not on CL looking at beaters for under $1000 to last me through at least summer. Kinda don't enjoy a tank that should last me for 3-4 weeks lasting me 1 1/2. Especially when they're $90 tanks. And I might make that in tips over 2 moderate days.
Sean

PreviousNext

Return to This day in my life