What we've been doing lately

Events of the day meaningful to you.

Re: What we've been doing lately

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 pm

I got the back forty mowed. Barry has been very helpful in getting my 3 way switch mess straightened out. I have just one more to reconnect, but have to wait until tomorrow...the circuit it is on also turns off several outlets (I thought outlets and lights were supposed to be on separate circuits), among them the TV, and of course the wife and youngest have to watch the NCAA championship game tonight. I have always found basketball boring, especially at the end, where they foul the hell out of each other. Even baseball is more interesting.

It was another beautiful day today, with highs in the mid 80's. Everything is in bloom...I shall take some pictures tomorrow for your enjoyment. Supposed to stay sunny and warm 'till Thursday, when a cold front is moving in. Then temps are supposed to drop back to normal, which is the mid '60s this time of year.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Don't worry. Our hospitals do not allow computers, but I will be in constant touch and she will post what's going on at least here and maybe on .us as well. It's just one possibility. I will likely have a fight with the doctor over warfarin, which I dislike and distrust but which he insists (accurately, but) is the best available answer. Just not for me.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:52 pm

With great thanks to Barry for his electrical knowledge and assistance, my 3 way switch problems are solved. I did manage to zap myself once...it was energizing!

I also got the Edge washed. It was all buggy from the trip, and had a coat of pollen on it. The pollen has started here, so the next few weeks will be ''fun''.

There are just too many things to do, and not enough hours in the day to do them. Maybe if I didn't spend 2 hours in the morning reading the newspapers......
Jay

Postby meteorite » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Doctor says I'm stable and any further available action carries too poor a risk/reward ratio to be worth contemplating right now. This does not make me any less miserable. Both X-rays and blood tests show me fine, ECG shows the a-fib but not crisis mode. But we will do a 48-hour Holter monitoring to see if anything is hiding in the background.

Had an inquiry about the trailer. We will see where that leads.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Those holy rollers need some left leaning people to straighten them out a bit. As long as they leave me alone, we'll get along just fine.

Another thing I noticed...just about everything, except gas stations and restaurants, was closed for Easter. When I got back to Maryland Sunday afternoon, everything was open, which is ''normal'' for here.
Jay

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Met...good to hear that things look OK. Maybe what's needed is an adjustment in medication. That's what Mommy dearest needed...she had one of those Holter monitors on over the weekend.
Jay

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:30 am

See... They really won't leave you alone.

Another day of pollen, but I have the house to myself, which is nice. Found some nice cheese my mom told me to try a while back and love it... Probably the only stuff I've ever enjoyed nibbling on without it being melted over something else. :lol:

Oh, and yesterday morning I heard a weird and quirky song by Dire Straits... Called 'Industrial Disease'. If you've never heard it before, I suggest you go listen to it. It's one of my top played songs already, I can't stop listening to it.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 am

Dude.."Industrial Disease" came out in 1982...you're about 28 years late.....

Try "Money For Nothing''..that came out in '85. Might be a bit too recent for you, though...
Jay

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:26 pm

:mrgreen:

And yet I love it and find it still fits today.
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:40 pm

The video of ''Money For Nothing'' was pretty good, too. That was back when VH1 actually showed nothing but music videos of rock music. That started going down hill fast when this rap shit started coming out.

You might like these albums:

Allman Brothers "Live At The Fillmore East"

Peter Frampton "Live"

David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars"

Rod Stewart "A Nod is as Good as a Blink to a Blind Horse"

AC/DC "Back In Black"

The Beatles "White Album" "Abby Road" "Let It Be" "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"

Grand Funk Railroad "Live"

Pink Floyd ''Wish You Were Here" "Dark Side of the Moon"

Johnny Winter "Live" (I like Johnny better than Edgar)

The Steve Miller Band " Anthology" " Living in the U.S.A." "The Joker" "Fly Like an Eagle" "Book of Dreams"

As a trivial side note, I have all the above in their original albums. I bought them new as they were released. Last time I counted, I had about 300 albums and I don't know how many 45s. Most of the 45s are Beatle songs, released on their original label (Parlophone) that I got when I lived in England from 1960-1964.

You DO know what 45s are, don't you??
Jay

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Today...another beautiful summer day...temps up in the low 90's. Alas, that cold front is to move in tomorrow, and the temps are supposed to go back to normal, which is the mid 60's.

Did some much needed house work..with all the sprucing and fixing up to get the house ready for sale, my house cleaning duties have been neglected. So, I spent about 3 hours on that, then took the trash from the last 2 weeks to the landfill. We don't have a city or county trash pickup, being in the ''country''. We'd have to engage the services of a private contractor. It's cheaper for me just to take the trash to the landfill. Costs $3.80 per hundred pounds for residential customers. Since the county started single stream recycling pickup last November, we don't have to separate the glass, plastics, paper, etc. and take them to the recycling center (recycling isn't mandatory in Frederick county, but when we lived in Montgomery county it was, so we kept it up when moving to Frederick county 18 years ago). The county provides the big blue cart...a 65 gallon one. Pick up is every two weeks. The 65 gal wasn't big enough for us, so we traded it for a 95 gallon cart. It's just right. Lots of newspapers and Fresca bottles.
Jay

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:26 am

Yes, I know what a 45 is. It's a big black frisbee! :mrgreen:

Kidding aside, I have a few songs from each of the albums you listed.... I may hit up pirate bay and get the entire albums, but hard drive space is kind of hard to find on my Eee at the moment since I never got rid of all the XP shit. And so my solution to this problem is to go and buy a desktop! :lol: As if my desk didn't have enough crap on it already.

Picking between a Phenom II X4 quad core gaming computer for $600 or a Pentium 4 workstation computer used for around $150. The P4 one will take up less space since I could set my monitor on top of it, but the Phenom won't be obsolete for a few years. Decisions, decisions.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Ah, get yourself a one-terabyte external hard disc and plug it into your Eee when needed. :lol: They're cheap enough.

Typically, I have never seen a rock video. Just never wanted to. And Sean, from what I hear there are a lot of new reefs grown up in and around pirate bay, and it has become a notably unhealthy place to be. I suspect a PM on .us to Boxer or MaxN might tell you where it's reasonably safe to look at the moment. But the Man is playing more rough every day.

We have grey bins for dry garbage, green bins for wet garbage, and blue bins for recyclables. We use our green bins very little as Mrs. M. prefers to dump most of the stuff on the composter, whence it emerges to enrich her flower beds. Wine and beer bottles go back to the Beer Store, which refunds the deposit. There's also an on-demand service for big stuff like furniture and appliances, and a "toxics taxi" for hazardous wastes. As you might gather Toronto is very big on recycling and has been for some time.

Yesterday the rain Jay is expecting came to visit us, and it has continued through today; our high seems to be about 10ºC or 50ºF with a chill wind. I am using the time to stay home and do some recovery; I am feeling notably better today with fewer spells of fatigue. So maybe matters are improving.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Today was another nice summer day. Highs in the mid 80s. Right now the cold front is moving in, and the outside temps have dropped to the mid 70s. Tomorrows high is expected to be in the low 60s. Seems like the 3 day cycle of mowing is kicking in. I had to do the back yard again today, and should've done the front, but that can wait 'till tomorrow.
Went to Lowe's and got 4 ceiling fans....three 52'' and one 42''. Two of the 52'' ones are to replace the ones in the family room, and the other 52'' is to replace the one in my bedroom. The smaller one is to replace the one in the youngest's room...he managed to break one of the paddles of the old one with his head...he has a loft type bed in his room, and when he sat up one morning, he got his head in the way. Shows he has a hard head!

Glad to hear you feel better, Met. Maybe a little r & r is what you needed.
Jay

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I've got my first colonoscopy scheduled for Apr. 26 at 10:30AM. I'm almost 6 years overdue for the first one. The wife's first one is on Apr. 19th. A nice Jewish doctor...the best kind. The ''cleansing'' starts at 4PM the day before. Have to take, over the course of 2 hours, 20 pills with lots of water and stay near a bathroom. This is the part I don't look forward to...and the fasting for 24 hours....
Jay

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:57 pm

I've got a big old 330GB one I took from my dad, but he wants it back some time soon for... Whatever. He already has a 1TB drive in the basement.

I went to school and then put a few hours in at work, they were expecting a rush like they had during the lunch hour. No such rush came, so I left after 4 hours on the clock and playing supervisor while my manager tried to sit up. Apparently she had a migraine a few orders of magnitude worse than normal. At least I'm starting to get everything there figured out. :lol:
Sean

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm not looking forward to getting old.
Sean

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:59 pm

I still enjoy it, oddly enough. :P
Sean

Postby meteorite » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:18 pm

Did better last night and felt fairly perky today. Mrs. M. wanted a lift to the subway so I took advantage of the trip to get my hair cut. Miserable day, got quite bright through the clouds for a bit around lunch time, but basically dull and chill - high of about 7ºC (45.ºF) which was no prize and didn't last that long.

Slow day - very little going on at .us so finishing for the day well before dinner. Usually postings take me well into evening.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Today was everything a spring day ought to be - all but cloudless blue sky, a temperature that built up to about 15ºC (59ºF), a few birds around at last, the grass magically changing to that impossible spring green. the first forsythia and magnolias in luxuriant bloom. Most of our crocuses are over, but the daffodils and hyacinth did not have their nascent blossoms nipped by frost last night, as we were warned could happen. And there was no skim of ice on the bird bath.

Got a flyer with Staples announcing a sale, in this case half off the laptop anti-theft cables and locks we need for our travels, and a very juicy price on a small simple Samsung colour laser printer. We don't print much and have been watching barrels of hideously priced ink dry up and clog the nozzles of out inkjet, so the laser colour makes eminent sense. The thing is heavy and I'm not enamoured of the amount of space it will take from a limited ration on the desk, but it should be front accessible and with the USB interface can be shifted among all three computers.

As this suggests I slept long and late, woke quite refreshed, and held the better sense of health all day.
meteorite

PreviousNext

Return to This day in my life