What we've been doing lately

Events of the day meaningful to you.

Re: What we've been doing lately

Postby meteorite » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 pm

Well, Sean, at least you know where to find some good doctors!

We are now playing with meds, varying doses, while the doctor evaluates my heart x-rays and blood tests. The improvement I was hoping for didn't show today; I am again listless and useless. Did get the shopping done, though.

When I called the taxi to take me home from the doctor's office Monday I forgot to zip up my pocket after putting my cellphone away, and it dropped out into the front seat of the cab. The driver wasn't on duty yesterday but I caught him today and he will be bringing the phone by when he is in the area.

I hate these pockets that zip down from the top instead of up from the bottom. Incidentally, I always leave my phone turned off so I had to wait for the driver to find it and turn it on to ring him.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Today is a beautiful day in Greenville. The temp is 89 degres, no humidity. Just returned from looking at a few different neighborhoods and houses. It's nice to be able to open the BAMR (Big Ass Moon Roof) on the Edge and let the sun shine in!

One of the properties we checked out was in a neighborhood of double wide trailers. The soon to be 13 year old didn't like that at all. I told him that just because people live in a double wide doesn't mean they aren't good people. What turned me off were the multitude of junked cars in the yards, and the double wides haven't been well maintained. Besides, the house was not what we are looking for,,,just wanted to get an idea of the area.

We are meetin with a realtor at 3:00PM, then I'm off to find a do it yourself car wash to get the bugs and road dust off the Edge. If I can find some shade, I may wax it, too. The last time we were here in June I waxed the Edge, too.

MG...is there anything left of Blueberry Point, or has Flipper and all his friends taken over????
Jay

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:12 pm

For the first time since they have been kept, Toronto recorded not a single flake of snow in all of March. (Officially, anyway, though I seem to recall a day I saw one, maybe even two). Today was just glorious, about 20ºC (68ºF) with bright sun in a cloudless sky - happy Passover to your paternal side, Jay. The crocuses are up and blooming in the garden, and Mrs. M. moved the bird feeder and basin back to their summer positions.

I was feeling enough better that I took the van over to put air in the tires and top off the gas tank, which hasn't been done since New Years. Cost me $84.00 to brim it. We also took books back to the library, mailed a letter and picked up a prescription to make the trip worthwhile.

The taxi driver who had my cellphone called; he had delivered a fare to the next house along the street, so brought the phone right to my door. Now I'll have to recharge it as he had it on in case I called.

Had a couple of episodes of huge sleepiness and inertia but they passed and I actually felt like a human being for much of the day. We shall see what develops.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Met. Don't be carrying any more heavy boxes down to the basement. I don't know much about a-fib and the causes, but it's mighty coincidental that this happened so soon after you took those boxes down without Mrs. M's knowledge...

Those in the ''know'' are blaming El Nino (or is it La Nina) plus some similar Atlantic type system for your lack of snow, and the excessive amount of snow we got.

A happy Passover to you, also....did you make or get a Seder plate?? My mom, who of course is Irish Catholic, goes to the Friday night Jewish service at ''the home'' as I call it. The other night, a couple of kids from the local temple brought her a Seder plate. She was thrilled.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Oh, Mrs. M. knew about the boxes, just didn't see the last four. And the a-fib is pretty much a constant with me, it's just that some times it is more obtrusive than others, for no reason we can establish yet.

Definitely the storm track has moved south this winter, and we're on the brink of drought while you folks swim for your lives. Not that global warming has anything to do with it, of course. :roll: But what are you folks going to do if it keeps up?

When you've outlived your peers, and are at the point where (as I've remarked before) you're one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, you begin to realize that whatever future lies ahead your part in it will be strictly limited, so all you can do is sit back, view it all with wry amusement, and wonder what you won't be around to see. Of course living north of 49 leaves one even more detached.

So I'll stay while I can, go when I must, and do my best to do some useful thing in the meantimes.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:49 pm

A beautiful, gorgeous warm day today - the Star said we could have a temperature record possibly. I am still having episodes of a-fib that wipe me out but they were fewer and shorter today and I managed to get myself out and around the park on my regular walk. Wasn't easy, but I made it.

And for those to whom it is meaningful, a Happy Easter, Passover or both.

Aside: in diverse and increasingly non-religious Canada, Good Friday remains a federal holiday. But in the U.S. Bible Belt it seems not to be the case. I think this tells us something but I am not sure what.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Easter is alive and well in Greenville. There are all sorts of Good Friday services goin' on....'course, there are a lot of Baptists 'round here. A small Catholic population (somewhere under 10% I believe). I haven't seen anything referring to Passover at all. The Long John Silver establishments advertise a Lent fish fry value meal for $3.99. Yuk!
Jay

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:27 pm

Another beautiful day. Temps hit 90 degrees, but again humidity is non existent. Met with a realtor, seems right nice. He's exclusively a buyer's agent. A listing realtor works for the seller exclusively. Saw some nice neighborhoods and houses..but until ours is sold, we aren't focusing in on any particular one...just want to get an idea of things.
Jay

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:14 am

Got a speeding ticket on a long, flat, straight, freshly resurfaced highway at 1am. 78 in a 60, he wrote it for 75, and because it's in a different county from the one I rolled the Escape in, I may be able to take the STOP class again and avoid any dirt on my record. Had he not been tailgating someone else, I would have seen his headlights far ahead of what his radar could read and slowed accordingly. Well, I guess I worked today just to pay for this ticket. Had my parents not demanded I come out to the cabin this evening and instead let me go home, wouldn't be in this mess. Fun shit.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby Jay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:11 pm

That's right...blame the parents for your actions......
Jay

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Really I could blame anything for it, as their nonexistence would change everything enough that something would be different somehow. :lol:
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:12 pm

You been taking a philosophy minor on the sly, Sean?

Another day of ups and downs but the temperature was up. If we got the 24ºC indicated on our home thermometer, it sets a new record for this day in Toronto. Very nice out, got my walk in with only one stop.

Woke up to the smoke alarm chirping - it decided that no one was going to get any sleep till it got its battery changed. Managed to change the battery but reassembling the cover then getting it up on the ceiling where it belongs is more than a little challenge for a frail elderly couple. I'm beginning to wonder, when I see the Fire Chief tut-tutting about the lack of an operative smoke detector in a fatal house fire, if he's ever tried to help a serious senior change the battery. It ain't easy.

Tried a new white wine this weekend, a Riesling - Gewurztraminer blend from Pelletiri. We have tried such blends before and they have not been especially good, but this one might prove worth buying again sometime.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:42 pm

....maybe.... :D

One of my problems is that I spend a lot more time reading books by random philosophers I like than reading.... Well, much of anything else. Russell is next on the list.
Sean

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm

Got back from S.C. about 5:45PM. Took about 8.5 hours. The weather, again, was beautiful. Temps were in the low 80's all the way home. Saw a lot of state troopers in S.C. . They were all passing out paying paper. I just kept the cruise control set at 8mph over the limit, so no problem.

Stopped in Mt. Airy, N.C., which is the town Mayberry RFD was based on. Andy Griffith was born there. The downtown looks like the TV series...there was even a Floyd's Barber Shop. The town plays up the connection to the TV show...good for tourists. NIce little town.

The lawn needs to be mowed for sure. That will get done tomorrow. Everything is in bloom here, now. Greenville is about 2 weeks ahead of things...most of the tree blooms were dropping, the pollen was thick. Every morning, the Edge had a golden glow..I had to go to the local do it yourself car wash to hose it off. The pollen will hit here soon. Oh, joy!
Jay

Postby meteorite » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Yesterday I woke up with a sore right jaw and TM joint, which didn't improve during the day. Tried a heating pad, and Tylenol, neither of which offered much relief. So I slept poorly and in fact halfway though the night took off my CPAP mask as things were becoming too painful. This did my sleeping no good at all. Jaw is sore today, too.

Did manage to get up today, have breakfast, and watch the tape of the race, then fall asleep, even went back to bed at one point. By dinnertime I had just finished the skinny Sunday paper. Just read half a story then had to cork off. It was a small triumph just to get my clothes on eventually. Oh well, I have a doctor's appointment Tuesday afternoon. A great deal will hang on how well I am able to sleep tonight; it makes a decisive difference to my well-being.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 am

Pollen is evil. My allergies are acting up and I decided to pop a Zyrtec every hour until I noticed complete relief. 5 pills. I'm only supposed to take 1 a day. I may need to go see if there are any mega strength 'scrips my dad can get me.
Sean

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:10 am

I, luckily, haven't any allergies to pollen. My biggest beef is having to rinse the cars off every day for a couple of weeks. It gets old real fast. The only thing I'm allergic to is cats.
Jay

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

I've got the ''front 40'', as I call the front yard, mowed. I definitely need a hay rake. Now, having had my Fresca and perused .us and .ca, it's off to the ''back 40'' to do that. The soon to be 13 year old did the ''poop patrol'' this morning, so I won't be running over any dog shit. He's dying to use the lawn tractor....however, he went off with one of his friends in the neighborhood, so he misses out this time.

Met....I hope you are feeling better. I am concerned.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 pm

I must admit I am getting concerned too. I have had episodes where the a-fib broke out for a little while before, but nothing as deep and long as the current bout. I have made sure I have the cell phone charged up and the necessary documentation in hand, and will take a taxi, when I go see the doctor tomorrow afternoon, just in case he decides to ship me off to hospital. In the meantime today was pretty much a total loss, just got the paper read and maybe get my postings done here. Don't know if I will be up to the other carnuts or not. Hell of a waste of a beautiful, sunny warm day.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Well, Met, you shall be in my thoughts. I don't davnen, so I'll just have to send out good vibrations for ya.

If you have to be admitted to the hospital, will you be able to let us know, or maybe Mrs. M could leave word??

Be positive. At least you don't have to deal with the health care mess in the US....if that was the case, we'd probably have to sit shive and say the kadish.

You WILL prevail.
Jay

PreviousNext

Return to This day in my life