Contemplating going home.

FIRST, READ THE RULES!!! Discussions of political science, economics, sociology, cultural anthropology, religions oother than Judeo-Christian, social issues and current events.

Contemplating going home.

Postby MaxN » Tue May 25, 2010 6:49 pm

I have lived in the USA for something over ten years but my love of the place is fading fast. The cost of healthcare is a prime factor in my discomfort. I just had a doctors visit payment denied by my new insurance company on the grounds that the reason for the visit was pre existing. $590 I now owe my doctor.

Add to that the bankrupt state I live in and the frankly horrific cost of living and I am really wondering why I live here.

I think I am done.

The politics are insane. Nobody seems to understand phrases like 'for the common good'. It is all about how much each politician can squeeze out of the public and cram in his fat mouth.

Yep I am done.

I am starting to plan my escape.
MaxN

Re: Contemplating going home.

Postby Boxer2500 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 pm

The grass wasn't greener after all, eh?
Boxer2500

Postby MaxN » Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 pm

Boxer2500 wrote:The grass wasn't greener after all, eh?

It is not that simple.

At some point you have to weigh the pro's and cons.

Let me explain.

I moved out here in 1999 to head up a team working on a really cool project for a company that I really liked working for.

Sadly the bubble burst and everyone that I moved out here to work with was 'downsized' and the fun job turned nightmarish. I was stuck though as my visa (L1) was such that I could not move companies nor could I afford to 'go home'. Eventually I got my greencard and at that point was also downsized.

The last few years a combination of health issues, lay-offs and more health scares are worrying the crap out of me.

I pay a really large amount of money for SHITTY health care that barely covers routine stuff without a huge ass fight.

if I went home, my health would be taken care of for free. At a hight standard than I currently 'enjoy' and trust me, this is major.
MaxN

Postby Boxer2500 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Don't worry, you're preaching to the choir on all fronts. I've had JUST enough exposure to the real world to be good and thoroughly fucked over by the system. Anthem just raised my health ins. premium by nearly 50% with no explanation, and no particular reason - my medical expenses are nothing, but I keep the insurance around because when you need it, you *really* need it. Because I worked (all too briefly) for a mom n' pop company, I wasn't eligible for COBRA.
Boxer2500

Postby Sean » Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 am

I think I need to figure out whether or not the company I work for even offers employee health benefits....
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby Barry Wolk » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

Doubtful, if you're not full-time.
Barry Wolk

Postby Sean » Wed May 26, 2010 3:57 pm

I will be full time as of next week.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Wed May 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Max, I think you know I was born in Jersey City, NJ and my wife was born in Brooklyn, NY. In fact both our families were Canadian and soon returned to Canada, but of course we always had the choice of either citizenship.

We both chose Canada when the time came, and we have done nothing but become more pleased with our decision ever since.

Perhaps before heading back to Blighty you might want to see if anyone in Canada is looking for your skills. You might like it better than Britain in the coming years.
meteorite

Postby trobinett » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:29 pm

+MG+ wrote:Canada has much to offer. Principally some of the warmest people to be found anywhere. :idea:

Also, you can drive there, something that is extraordinarily hard to do when going to England. :idea:

If Met is your yardstick, then yes, I agree with your first point, but as to your second point, why would you want to "go there"? ;)
trobinett

Postby meteorite » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Guess for similar reasons that Canadians go visiting the USA, a..k.a. "down there". :lol:

There is still a lot of moving between the two counties. Of my two younger brothers, one moved to the U.S., served in the Army for a bit, and is still there, The other had no interest in the US and found his peace in Canada's far north. I do kid about it a fair amount, but in truth Canada IS different, deeply so in ways that are rarely apparent until analyzed - then you wonder how you ever overlooked them.

Example: you know why America is in Afghanistan. But why is Canada there? It tells you much about national differences.
meteorite

Return to Social and philosophical discussions