Maryland man prosecuted for videotaping police

FIRST, READ THE RULES!!! Discussions of political science, economics, sociology, cultural anthropology, religions oother than Judeo-Christian, social issues and current events.

Maryland man prosecuted for videotaping police

Postby Boxer2500 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm just speechless. I'm not condoning the biker's actions leading up to the stop, but citizens should have every right to record the actions of public servants on a public street. Furthermore, the plainclothes cop is lucky he didn't get shot or maimed bursting out of a car in traffic with his gun drawn like that.

Traffic Stop Video May Send Man To Jail
Derek Valcourt HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) ―

A helmet camera meant to videotape a biker's ride on the road may now have one Harford County man on the road to jail.

Derek Valcourt explains what police say was wrong with the man's video recording.

State police claim the biker was riding recklessly, but the crime they're upset about is that the traffic stop was caught on camera.

Between cell phone cameras, surveillance cameras and even police dashboard cameras, we're used to being watched. But under Maryland law, recording the audio of your conversation with someone without their consent can land you in jail for up to five years. And that's the problem for Anthony Graber.

"I don't want to go to jail," Graber said.

While riding his motorcycle in March, he was pulled over by a plainclothes officer. The camera--which was easy to see on top of his helmet--was rolling.

"As soon as he allowed me to start taking my gear off, I turned the camera off," Graber said.

Police say by then, it was too late. Even though the camera was in plain sight, they've now charged Graber with breaking the law for recording what the officer was saying without his permission.

"We are enforcing the law and we don't make any apologies for that," said Lt. Greg Shipley, Maryland State Police.

State police admit they may never have found out about the recording had Graber not posted it on YouTube.

"The trooper asked this individual if he was being recorded. He said no. We find that not to be true. All of that information was presented to the State's Attorney in Harford County who said that the evidence supports these charges," Shipley said.

It's a hard lesson for Graber, who says he never even knew about the law.

"Otherwise I wouldn't have put it on the Internet," he said. "I wish I could have taken everything back and make this whole thing go away."

For now, Graber has hired an attorney. He's schedule to appear before a judge on June 1.

In addition to the wiretap charges, Graber also faces charges of reckless driving, negligent driving and excessive speed.

http://wjz.com/local/traffic.stop.yo...2.1685826.html

The Youtube video that started it all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHjjF55M8JQ
Boxer2500

Re: Maryland man prosecuted for videotaping police

Postby Jay » Wed May 12, 2010 3:01 pm

"...... under Maryland law, recording the audio of your conversation with someone without their consent can land you in jail for up to five years."

That's true, and it is vigorously enforced in Maryland.

"The trooper asked this individual if he was being recorded. He said no. We find that not to be true. All of that information was presented to the State's Attorney in Harford County who said that the evidence supports these charges," Shipley said.

It that's true, than the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I would imagine that the guy was doing stunts on the bike and recording that, since Graber also faces charges of reckless driving, negligent driving and excessive speed.

The state has also really cracked down on that crap, since there have been several accidents and deaths due to these idiots.

I say throw him in jail and loose the key.
Jay

Postby Jay » Wed May 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Did you notice how fast that asshole was going? How he was going back and forth over three lanes? No wonder the cop pulled the gun when he was getting out of the car...did you also notice he put it right back in his holster? There is no excuse to be driving like that on the Baltimore Beltway. It's bad enough without these reality show wanna be's pulling stuff like this.

Book 'em, Danno.....
Jay

Postby Boxer2500 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:42 pm

Jay wrote:Did you notice how fast that asshole was going? How he was going back and forth over three lanes? No wonder the cop pulled the gun when he was getting out of the car...did you also notice he put it right back in his holster? There is no excuse to be driving like that on the Baltimore Beltway. It's bad enough without these reality show wanna be's pulling stuff like this.

Book 'em, Danno.....

No one, least of all me, is denying that the biker is an asshole. But this case is much bigger than simple jackassery. We're going down a very dangerous road if the public can be prosecuted for videotaping the Boys In Blue. Hell, we ought to make the cops wear little "black boxes" while on duty. Just mount 'em to the utility belt next to the gun. Authoritarian types love the expression "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear." It's time to flip that little proverb back the other way.
Boxer2500

Postby meteorite » Wed May 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Two words: Rodney King.

We really need Roo on this one, don't we?

BTW, what's the law on paparazzi taking pictures of anyone, anywhere, anytime?
meteorite

Postby Sean » Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 am

What Boxer said, times a billion.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby MaxN » Sat May 15, 2010 11:21 am

I just watched the extended version.

The rider was pulled a single 'stunt' as far as I see - he dealt with a coach that was running slowly by winding on extra power and raising the front wheel. Something that I have probably done a thousand times, being the asshole rider that I am. Oh and I fucking LOATH bad lane discipline. They should use the videotape evidence to throw the book at several drivers there.

For the rest of the tape he was quick but pretty safe. Actually he looked behind himself a lot, used his mirrors a lot and given his performance advantage I see nothing dangerous on that ride, sure he exceeded the speed limits, but if you can hand on heart say that you too stick to the limits religiously, then fine, but he was probably safer than the average latte-supping cell phone gabbing socca mom. However this is not about his safety, it is really about two other things.

1) As the unmarked car had NO LIGHTS and the cop showed NO ID, he cut the guy up and almost ran into him then pulled a fucking gun on him, I can see exactly why the cops do not want to be recorded, they are complete fucktards.

2) The attitude of the gun-toting moron in civilian clothes.

The cop is lucky, had that been me, I would have ripped the throttle open and let go of the clutch and took the cunt out. I would have assumed that I was being bike-jacked and responded appropriately - ie killed the cunt.

Seriously the moron would be dead and I would have videotaped justification. There was absolutely no justification for the actions of the guy in the unmarked car that I can see - the rider did not appear to realise that the guy with the gun was a cop - it is obvious that he heard sirens - you can see that he looked behind himself for a long time, but the unmarked car had no lights, no indication that he as an enforcer of the law. Cutting the biker up and pulling a gun on him that way was so unjustifiable I defy anyone to condone it.
MaxN

Return to Social and philosophical discussions