Iran Has The Answer To Earthquakes!

FIRST, READ THE RULES!!! Discussions of political science, economics, sociology, cultural anthropology, religions oother than Judeo-Christian, social issues and current events.

Iran Has The Answer To Earthquakes!

Postby Jay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:50 pm

Promiscuous women cause earthquakes, Iran cleric says

By the CNN Wire Staff
April 20, 2010 4:55 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Women who dress provocatively and tempt people into promiscuity are to blame for earthquakes, a leading Iranian hard-line cleric has apparently said.

The prayer leader, Hojatoleslam Kazim Sadeghi, says women and girls who "don't dress appropriately" spread "promiscuity in society."

"When promiscuity spreads, earthquakes increase," he says in a video posted Monday on YouTube, apparently of him leading Friday prayers in Tehran, Iran, last week.

"There is no way other than taking refuge in religion and adapting ourselves to Islamic behavior," he adds in the video.

The video was posted by YouTube user "electionlies," who appears to be anti-regime. The account features wallpaper of a blindfolded woman apparently weeping blood and the slogan, "The green movement is alive."

Green was the color of anti-regime protesters in last year's demonstrations in several cities across Iran. The protesters were marching against the country's election results, which gave President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a second term in office.

Sadeghi is a senior cleric who was appointed last year by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei as a substitute Friday prayer leader in Tehran, an extremely influential position.

Khamenei himself is Tehran's official Friday prayer leader.

Iran suffers regular earthquakes, including a devastating one that destroyed the ancient city of Bam in 2003, killing tens of thousands.

Sadeghi is not the only religious leader to have linked earthquakes with human behavior this year.

American televangelist Pat Robertson suggested that January's devastating earthquake in Haiti was because of a pact Haitians made with the devil in order to throw off French rule in the 18th century.

A spokesman for Robertson said he was referring to a widely discussed Haitian legend, but University of Miami researcher Kate Ramsey said the legend was "utterly a fabrication, and it's an extremely offensive one."

CNN's Reza Sayah contributed to this report.
Jay

Re: Iran Has The Answer To Earthquakes!

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:54 pm

http://www.blaghag.com/2010/04/in-name-of-science-i-offer-my-boobs.html

And a bright young feminist skeptic has already offered to help prove this assertion!

-----------------------

In the name of science, I offer my boobs

This little bit of supernatural thinking has been floating around the blogosphere today:

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Sedighi is Tehran's acting Friday prayer leader.

I have a modest proposal.

Sedighi claims that not dressing modestly causes earthquakes. If so, we should be able to test this claim scientifically. You all remember the homeopathy overdose?

Time for a Boobquake.

On Monday, April 26th, I will wear the most cleavage-showing shirt I own. Yes, the one usually reserved for a night on the town. I encourage other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts. Or short shorts, if that's your preferred form of immodesty. With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake. If not, I'm sure Sedighi can come up with a rational explanation for why the ground didn't rumble. And if we really get through to him, maybe it'll be one involving plate tectonics.

So, who's with me? I may be a D cup, but that will probably only produce a slight tremor on its own. If you'll be joining me on twitter, use the tag #boobquake! Or join the facebook event!
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:27 pm

We really should just rid the world of all those ignorant, stupid, inbred camel shtupers. Make me president for a day. I would reduce our inventory of nuclear weapons by 10 or 15 missiles.
Jay

Postby Sean » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Nah, MG. Apparently the superior gender is still to damn stupid and incompetent to keep it in their pants.

And do realize that some christians are still insanely obsessed with sex. Kind of like how anorexics are obsessed with food.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 pm

The Blag Hag sounds like your kind of people, Sean. Pity she's a bit old for you. On the other hand I'm sure all of us would be willing to sit on the panel and observe the results of the experiment she proposes firsthand.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:53 pm

Just remember, Sean, your hand never has a headache, and never says ''no''.
Jay

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 am

But Jay, that's a sin! :lol:
Sean

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Well, Sean, so be it. I've never believed in a 'hell', even as a kid. When the nuns would tell us that ''self abuse'' (they wouldn't or couldn't say 'masturbating') would stunt our growth and make hair grow on our palms and that we would spend eternity burning in hell for doing such a thing, I would chime up and say "Sister, I don't have any hair on MY palms..." Then I would get in trouble for being a wise ass.
Jay

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 am

:mrgreen: I bet they loved you there.

I never gave a damn, and thanks to the internet bullshit like that can be double checked.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:02 pm

OK, gentlemen, here's the latest word. Now get out there and cheer them on!

Thousands join cleavage protest of Iranian cleric

April 22, 2010

Lesley Ciarula Taylor

Tens of thousands of women have signed up online to flaunt their cleavage this Monday in the face of an Iranian cleric’s comments, with the numbers growing by the minute.

Jen McCreight threw out the challenge last Monday on her blog, blaghag.com, and by Thursday more than 33,000 women joined the cause from all over on two separate Facebook sites.

What provoked her was a comment from Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, who was quoted on April 16 as saying “Many women who do not dress modestly . . . lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes.”

Her challenge:

“On Monday, April 26th, I will wear the most cleavage-showing shirt I own. Yes, the one usually reserved for a night on the town. I encourage other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts. Or short shorts, if that's your preferred form of immodesty. With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake.

“You with me girls?”

They are. Not only Facebook exploded with responses but the hashtag #boobquake on Twitter piled on comments, male and female.

“So what started as a joke and somewhat sarcastic reply has now exploded,” a slightly unnerved McCreight said. “Seriously, Internet, you scare and amaze me sometimes.”

The fourth-year student at Purdue University was full of apologies. “I’m trying to finish my homework . . . I just want to apologize if this comes off as demeaning toward women. Please don’t pressure women to participate if they don’t want to. If an earthquake strikes West Lafayette, Indiana and only kills me, that may be good evidence of God’s wrath.”

The outpouring of support has also convinced McCreight to turn the enthusiasm into a genuine good cause.

“Dressing modestly won't end earthquakes,” she said, “so help out the victims of inevitable natural disasters at the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/ or Ayaan Hirsi Ali Foundation: http://www.theahafoundation.org/
meteorite

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Seeing 33,000 pairs of breast jiggling at the same time would drive ANY male to corrupt their chastity, including Met!
Jay

Postby meteorite » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:29 pm

But it's such a long drive to West Lafayette!

O will there be regional bounce-offs, so to speak? :twisted:
meteorite

Return to Social and philosophical discussions