Power, Truth & Noam Chomsky

FIRST, READ THE RULES!!! Discussions of political science, economics, sociology, cultural anthropology, religions oother than Judeo-Christian, social issues and current events.

Re: Power, Truth & Noam Chomsky

Postby meteorite » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

We have long recognized the value of Chomsky, of course, but Christopher Hedges does seem to also be a fellow with his head on straight.

Personally, I would have highlighted the paragraph above the first one that was chosen; it is eerily like some of the views I have expressed here within the past week. The second highlighted portion I have a general sympathy for but there are places that raise my eyebrows a bit.

I wonder if the American intellectual elite's main failing is that they still have a sense of the limits of dignity, decency and fair play, and are unwilling to bring out the brass knuckles and machetes when they are needed. Certainly their opposition has no such compunctions, and it makes for a very uneven battle. Also by omission the suggestion is made that Chomsky regards Obama as dishonest; I think this needs more clarification. Or does he see Obama as a vendu?

A great deal of material for discussion, that's for sure, and a most useful article.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Well, obviously, he must be pretty bright - he agrees with me! :lol:

As for the Wiemar bit - he's very close to my age, so it would depend when he learned to read and what interested him in the first decade of life. My mother says I was reading at three, and the New York Times Saturday edition, including the News of the Week in Review section, was a standard fixture in our household. As a kid I got taken by the cartoons but strayed into the text enough to realize what was going on. Over the years since there have been all sorts of books, perhaps the definitive text being "Rise and fall of the Third Reich", dealing with the period. But when one was there as it happened...

In the article Hedges suggestion about Chomsky's evaluation of Obama is ambiguous but seems to carry negative connotations, a position with which I would not agree. While I think Obama has made the wrong choice on some difficult calls, I also feel he has given America a far better presidency than the electorate has earned.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Always embarrassing when someone turns up who's actually noticed what's going on. Basically I have likely heard most of this before, but either Chomsky introduced the thought, or is the one who picked up and synthesized the positions.
meteorite

Return to Social and philosophical discussions