Pre-Preventive Maintenance

Building, or rebuilding, your own vehicle, including personal experiences, tips and techniques.

Pre-Preventive Maintenance

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 pm

I am a big believer in this. It does pay in the long run. For example, when the Caravan had it's power steering pump replaced, I also replaced the serpentine belt, as long as it had to come off. It can snowball on you, though. When the oil pan gasket on the Taurus had to be replaced, I decided as long as the pan was off, might as well replace the oil pump...and, as long as you're there, what about the crank bearings? And as long as you're doing those, how about new rings for the pistons..and as long as the pistons are out......I stopped at the oil pump. I didn't want to mess with success. The engine has no problem with compression, and mom had the oil changed every 3000 miles religiously....but, at the time the gasket was replaced, the engine was a little over 100,000 miles, so I went ahead and did the oil pump.

I also adhere to the preventive maintenance recommended in the owners manual. The manufacturer must know what the product needs and when...especially when it comes to fluids like coolant, transmission, etc. So far, it's paid off...
Jay

Re: Pre-Preventive Maintenance

Postby Sean » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Since my driving qualifies as severe-severe-service, I have the van's oil changed on the severe service schedule and check fluids and filters religiously. So far it's all paid off, nothing's really gone "BOOM" on us, other than that damn alternator. Speaking of that thing, I noticed a new moan from under the hood tonight. Either the power steering pump is about to go or the alternator bearings are about to go. If the alternator goes, yay! I have a lifetime unlimited warranty on it. Never priced a power steering pump.

And the only reason why I suspect PS pump is that when you start the van when it's super cold outside, below zero Fahrenheit, the PS pump makes a loud groan for a few seconds and then quiets up. Never figured out why. But this new sound is a lot like that, only quieter and more muffled.
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Damn noise comes and goes, I'll leave it alone for a while. The ratio on the steering is good enough that I could still steer (and probably pull something, or hurt myself) well enough to get it home.

So, do you still attempt this whole shade tree mechanic game? :lol:
Sean

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Sean, I assume you have checked the p/s fluid to make sure it's at the proper level?

If so, what you might try is getting a cheap turkey baster, and sucking the fluid out of the reservoir, and then putting in Lucas P/S Treatment to fill it up to the proper level. Lucas works miracles.
Jay

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:25 am

Don't you still have that neat little MG hatch thingy? :lol:

And Jay, I may have to try that. When I checked the fluid today it smelled funny, almost like it had been.... Well, you know how melting plastic gives off a foul stink? That.
Sean

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Nice. I bet that's a full time job in itself! :lol:

I'm looking for the tax forms to opt out of SS. I think I have to sign away something to the effect that I'm morally opposed to government retirement plans.
Sean

Postby Jay » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:45 pm

If you can opt out, which may not be possible anymore since the fund is almost insolvent, you can never get back in. Don't be hasty. FICA also includes medicare and medicaid. Even though I had 14 years in the UPSP and didn't contribute to SSI , the years since that I have will get me $2500/month at age 67...assuming the fund is still around.
Jay

Postby meteorite » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:29 pm

When you're 18 these days, you have a likely 60 to 70 years of life stretching ahead of you - perhaps even more. You have not the most remote idea of how your fortunes will play out and how life will change, or what your needs will be when you near the end of it.

You don't know if there will be an America, let alone whether it will be solvent. You have no idea what form of government it will have or what their policies will be. Think Republicans ordering out death squads to hit everyone once they turn 70, so they won't have to spend hard-working taxpayers dollars on those Medicare and pension frills. Think of a Chinese hegemony bleeding the rest of the world dry. Think of some resurgence of common sense and progress bringing medical advances that keep you alive to 150. You haven't the slightest idea and no way to guess.

There is only one sure thing about the future, Sean. You are going to spend the rest of your life there. You have not the slightest idea what nasties lurk there, honing their fangs and licking their chops in anticipation of your arrival. But you are going to have to cope with them. And for many, the best defence is money. Just ask all the others here.

You don't have the investment expertise, or clout, to provide the benefits of individual savings as compared to group savings. You don't have the credit rating of your government. You don't have the stability of a government. I won't say governments can't go bankrupt, but it's a rarer thing than among even the largest firms "too big to fail".

The current setup is that Social Security will provide you with about enough to starve on, and when the right-wingers gain power they will cut back on that. By all means have the best pension plan you can get through work, and have your own savings and investment program as well. The sooner you start the bigger the returns at the end will be.

Look ahead, Sean. That's the future coming at you, all of it, right at the end of your nose. It's where you're living the rest of your life. You need to be ready for it. Start arming yourself now.

And yes, if anyone wants to pursue this further, we've get us a new topic and thread.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm banking on the whole "SS will be bankrupt by 2050" thing.
Sean

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:22 pm

What has this got to do with car maintenance??
Jay

Postby Sean » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:11 pm

No idea. :lol:
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:14 pm

But as noted above, a new topic or thread can be had for the asking...
meteorite

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 am

Then, Met, in the words of Captain Jean-Luc Piccard of the star ship "Enterprise", "Make it so, Number One!"
Jay

Postby meteorite » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:15 pm

OK, there is a new topic in economics on "Personal finances and planning". It can be upgraded to a sub-category if it becomes overcrowded.

Your wish is my command.
meteorite

Return to Rolling your own