From The Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction Department!

Show cars, coming technology, industry predictions, things to come but not here yet

Re: From The Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction Department!

Postby meteorite » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Going to have to give Google a workout on this one, but apparently there is a plant that is taking chicken guts from an adjacent packing plant and is in production right now. Since it provides a waste disposal service the product need not be competitive on its own, but can be subsidized by the ancilliary function.

Otehrwise known as killing two birds with one stone. We'll hear more of this.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:39 am

Hey, we make biodiesel and ethanol and such out of biomass of some sort... Why not use stuff they'd wanna throw away anyway?
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:25 pm

It's been around for some time, Sean. Back around 1970 there was so much bullshit lying around Texas from the massive feedlots that even the Texans were getting worried. So the U.S. Office of Coal Research worked out a way to take these windrows of manure and through a pyrolitic conversion process make a simulacrum of crude oil gush from the other end. There was also a prototype garbage reactor in California.

I don't know what happened to these things; early reports suggested they were economic. This was, of course, before the first oil prices and the oil barons of Texas are not noted for their friendliness to a competing product, so I reckon I can guess.

But as you can see, the idea has been around longer than you have, but still is far from fruition.
meteorite

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 am

You don't actually think big oil would suppress technology that would make us less dependent on the black goo, do you???

Why, that would be un-American!

I'm sure the thought would never occur to them...just like the auto industry wouldn't have suppressed the so called 100mpg carburetor back in the '60's....
Jay

Postby meteorite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm

If you want some background on it, I think the heading used for the research papers was either Office or Bureau of Coal Research, though which parent department they answered to I don't recall. But if you can dig that out of the Library of Congress headings, likely in the early 70s, the papers are there. Sorry I can't offer a lead on the California project; it was a prototype only but it was up and running.

Good research project for you, Sean.
meteorite

Return to Coming soon