Too many doctors

Personal musings, observations and serious statements on meaningful topics.

Too many doctors

Postby meteorite » Fri May 02, 2014 10:04 pm

One of the problems of growing old is that one becomes too closely acquainted with too many doctors way too fast. And that has a definite effect on one's activity levels.

You may have noticed an arch remark in either of the race reports sections this year. Basically I am running quite far behind in my accumulation and editing of information, and getting it posted here. It hasn't helped that I have three XP computers which I plan to keep operating and web-ready in addition to the Windows 7 main unit (my wife has one too) but tracking down the necessary software and getting it configured while also dealing with the Heartbleed and IE scares on everything has put me way behind.

I lost two days to the ice storm (we were without power for 40 hours) but most devastating was the blow to my physical conditioning. Normally I rely on taking out my walker for a half-kilometre neighbourhood stroll each day to keep stretched and in condition. But they don't make snow tires for walkers. In any case, one does not take an artificial hip and broken back out on ice-glazed, slippery surfaces. So I was grounded and losing conditioning every day. I think this may be why I was vulnerable to an influenza virus that plunked me into hospital for a week in April. Yes, I got my flu shot for the year, but the lab said the bug that bit me wasn't one they had included in this winter's package. In previous years, when we had snows that came then melted away, I was able to get out most days, but this one is one of the worst I recall in 75 I have lived in Toronto and one with which I found it difficult to cope.

I did get one advantage. I had a cataract operation on my right eye late in April, and it seems to have been a success. (I had the left eye done last year). In fact, I can now read my newspaper and magazines, and work on the computer, without needing glasses at all, a major convenience. But there's no ointment without a fly. My driver's licence is only valid when I am wearing my prescribed glasses. But my vision has been changed so much that those glasses blur my new vision rather than helping it. And until the healing period is over (three weeks) my ophthmologist, or optometrist, cannot prescribe new appropriate glasses for me - and then it will take time to get them made. Meanwhile, since driving by the Braille system is notoriously hazardous to the health, I'll have to stick to low-speed local roads at low-traffic hours, or take taxis.

Meanwhile, my regular doctor is seeing things he doesn't like in my blood tests, and wants me to do a reprise of earlier testing over at the Cancer Centre. Oh well, the doctor is a decorative tiny young Chinese woman who is a bundle of competence and energy, and nice enough to even manage a bone biopsy on me without leaving me hurting for a week. And then he's found a couple of things he wants a dermatologist to look at, and that isn't the end of complaints. No wonder I'm on first-name terms with the X-ray radiologist and blood test.

But I've always known that growing old is not for sissies, and a great deal more satisfying than the alternative. So I'll bitch as warranted but suck it up and endure and hang in tehre as long as the world will have me.
meteorite

Return to Purely Personal