PLanet Fret - From my Blog....

FIRST, READ THE RULES!!! Discussions of political science, economics, sociology, cultural anthropology, religions oother than Judeo-Christian, social issues and current events.

Re: PLanet Fret - From my Blog....

Postby meteorite » Sat May 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Canada sits on top of almost 10% of the world's fresh water supply, and already there are those casting envious eyes upon it. It is a quiet but serious matter of government and popular concern. The first skirmishes are already starting, made worse by the fact that the Great Lakes are a common and shared resource. Already there are fights over the Chicago Drainage Canal, and over pollution in the Red River watershed. It will only get worse.

I also read somewhere a while ago - and wish I could remember where - the remark that the United States has ample supplies of water; what it lacks is adequate supplies of potable water. Too much water is being wasted simply carrying away industrial waste, to the extreme that the Cuyahoga River not only caught fire but almost burned down a railway bridge in Cleveland. That has been much mitigated now, but it emphasizes the degree to which waterways are polluted, often unnecessarily.

One more thing to exacerbate Sean's generation"s sleepless nights.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sat May 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Well, the generation before me seems to be made up of a bunch of clueless assholes, why change course? :?
Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sean

Postby Jay » Sat May 08, 2010 7:37 pm

I remember the Cuyahoga River catching fire. Today, though, there are fish in the water, and one can swim in the river again, so some good has been restored. Same with the Potomac River. When I first moved to Maryland in 1977, the Potomac was a dieing river, with phosphates and other discharges. Now, it has been hugely cleaned up. One can fish in it, swim in it. The city of Frederick is one of the cities that gets it's drinking water from it (Maryland 'owns' the Potomac...which pisses Virginia off, because Maryland won't let Virginia draw any water out of it at all). The focus now is on the Anacostia River, which flows from Prince Georges county, MD, through D.C., and joins into the Potomac at a place called Buzzard's Point in Washington.
Jay

Postby Jay » Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 pm

The "big thing'' for Maryland is the pollution of the Chesapeake Bay, mainly from run off from agricultural, dairy and chicken farms. There isn't anything in place with much teeth on the disposal of the tons and tons of chicken poop, which leeches into the streams and creeks, and ends up in the bay. Maryland is one of the largest producers of chickens in the east (Perdue is a big Maryland firm, head quartered in the eastern part of the state) and has a lot of influence with the idiots in Annapolis.
Jay

Postby Boxer2500 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Jay wrote:I remember the Cuyahoga River catching fire. Today, though, there are fish in the water, and one can swim in the river again, so some good has been restored. Same with the Potomac River. When I first moved to Maryland in 1977, the Potomac was a dieing river, with phosphates and other discharges. Now, it has been hugely cleaned up. One can fish in it, swim in it. The city of Frederick is one of the cities that gets it's drinking water from it (Maryland 'owns' the Potomac...which pisses Virginia off, because Maryland won't let Virginia draw any water out of it at all). The focus now is on the Anacostia River, which flows from Prince Georges county, MD, through D.C., and joins into the Potomac at a place called Buzzard's Point in Washington.

The collapse of American industry really helped clean up the water in Cleveland and the air in Pittsburgh.
Boxer2500

Postby +MG+ » Sun May 09, 2010 6:29 am

The collapse of American industry really helped clean up the water in Cleveland and the air in Pittsburgh.

Boxer, that simple sentence rather tells us all we need to know about the long term benefits of capitalism, doesn't it? And the ability of the human race to see beyond the end of next week. :(
And YOU want to be my latex salesman.....
+MG+

Postby meteorite » Sun May 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Regrettably, you are absolutely right.

The G20 is coming to Toronto in late June for a meeting. Anyone planning to come carry a placard in the protest march?
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sun May 09, 2010 4:57 pm

If I have my own car, can take off work, and can find a free place to crash, sure. :lol:
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 pm

You're on your own for the car and time off work, but I'm sure one of the protest organizers (the Ontario Federation of Labour) will be organizing places for visitors to stay, and I'll happily buy you dinner for a night or two.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sun May 09, 2010 6:09 pm

:D

Would be a pleasant meetup, though I wonder what the response would be to an obnoxious American college student coming to Canuckistan to protest when there's so much wrong to protest at home.
Sean

Postby meteorite » Sun May 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Trust me, we're used to them! From all reports, a simple of the majority of the protesters wherever the G20 meet tend to be Americans, or at least the ones who throw things and get arrested are. Canadians are less inclined toward violence.
meteorite

Postby Sean » Sun May 09, 2010 9:54 pm

To quote Howard Beale, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

Actually, that whole scene is quite relevant, even today.
Sean

Postby MaxN » Sun May 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I kind of followed it up

http://www.emaren.com/2010/05/the-next- ... nary-step/

sort of....
MaxN

Postby +MG+ » Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 am

If we are going to reach for the stars, or just really get much further along as a society, then we need to work as a single population towards those common goals.

Yeah, like THAT'S gonna happen....... :cry:

Nice post though, Max.
And YOU want to be my latex salesman.....
+MG+

Postby meteorite » Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm

As usual, my Teflon brain strikes again. A couple of decades ago a social psychologist, whose name escapes me pro tem, published a book - the (something) city, if I recall, in which the burden of the discussion dealt with the personal time horizons of citizens and the resultant impact on the city's policies. Thus short time horizons in the electorate might favour unregulated urban sprawl, with all the problems that brings in supplying utilities and services. Or zoning might be rejected, resulting in residential developments downwind of the stockyards, on on the approach path to the local international airport.

His pessimistic conclusion: foresight can't be taught and time horizons can't be expanded, so if you are stuck with an electorate that is basically a "Me, Now" crowd all you can do is sit back and watch the disaster unfold.

Which is exactly what seems to have happened. North America needs a couple of revolutions. But I fear anyone intelligent enough to understand what is going on will be bright enough also to stay out of it. In revolutions, people get hurt.
meteorite

Previous

Return to Social and philosophical discussions