Indycar - regular reports

From the Vanderbilt Cup to the next Grand Prix, the cars, drives, teams and politics.

Indycar - regular reports

Postby meteorite » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:28 pm

This section will include current news from Indycar with new bulletins posted as replies. Let's start here:

67 WINNING INDY 500 CARS FEATURED IN DISPLAY AT IMS MUSEUM

Legendary drivers to greet fans, sign autographs when exhibit opens March 20

INDIANAPOLIS, Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - The largest collection of Indianapolis 500-winning cars ever assembled will open to the public Sunday, March 20, 2011 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum, with special added attractions for fans.

The exhibit, which will be on display through June 1, will provide fans an opportunity to see 67 winning cars, representing 71 Indianapolis 500 victories.

As a special start to the exhibit, many legendary Indianapolis 500 winners will sign autographs and meet fans from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sunday, March 20 at the Museum. Drivers schedule to attend include four-time winner Rick Mears, three-time winner Bobby Unser, two-time winners Al Unser Jr. and Arie Luyendyk and 2003 Indianapolis 500 champion Gil de Ferran.

The exhibit is one of the many fan-friendly components of the celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Indianapolis 500 in 2011.

"We are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the world's greatest race by building a once-in-a-lifetime collection of winning cars," said Ellen Bireley, IMS Hall of Fame Museum director "The entire Museum will be devoted to the cars that won the Indianapolis 500 over the last century."

The exhibit will include the 31 winning cars owned by the IMS Hall of Fame Museum and 36 privately owned cars that have been loaned for this unique exhibit. Cars highlighted in the exhibit:

•The Marmon "Wasp" driven to victory by Ray Harroun in the 1911 Indianapolis 500

•All four cars to earn consecutive victories in the Indianapolis 500 (Boyle Maserati, Wilbur Shaw, 1939-40; Blue Crown Spark Plug Deidt/Offy, Mauri Rose, 1947-48; Fuel Injection KK500A/Offy, Bill Vukovich, 1953-54; Belond Exhaust Salih Offy, 1957, Sam Hanks, 1958, Jimmy Bryan)

•Each winning car driven by the three four-time winners of the Indianapolis 500, A.J. Foyt, Al Unser and Rick Mears

•Roger Penske's private collection of his team's Indianapolis 500-winning cars

•Every winning car from the 1950s and 1960s, including the Ken-Paul Watson-Offy driven to victory in 1960 by Jim Rathmann and the Lotus-Ford in which Jim Clark won in 1965

•Every winning car from the 1980s and 1990s

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum is open every day of the week from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for ages 6-15 and free for 5 and under. The Museum is located inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and can be accessed through the Main Gate (Gate 2) tunnel from W. 16th Street.

A special track tour also will be available Sunday, March 20 for fans that includes a lap around the famous IMS oval in a tour bus, with a stop at the historic Yard of Bricks for photos. The tour fee is $10 for adults, $5 for ages 6-15 and free for 5 and under.

2011 Indianapolis 500 tickets: Tickets are on sale for the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500, "The Most Important Race in History," on Sunday, May 29, 2011 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Race Day ticket prices start at just $30. Fans can buy tickets online at http://www.imstix.com, by calling the IMS ticket office at (317) 492-6700, or (800) 822-INDY outside the Indianapolis area, or by visiting the ticket office at the IMS Administration Building at the corner of Georgetown Road and 16th Street between 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (ET) Monday-Friday.

Children 12 and under will be receive free general admission to any IMS event in 2011 when accompanied by an adult general admission ticket holder.

Tickets for groups of 20 or more also are on sale. Contact the IMS Group Sales Department at (866) 221-8775 for more information.

*Those tickets may have just got a lot more appealing. Observe:

IMS INVITES 269 INDIANAPOLIS 500 VETERANS TO RETURN THIS MAY

Fans to enjoy unprecedented access to legends of the Speedway

INDIANAPOLIS, Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - Indianapolis 500 fans will be treated to a reunion with many of their favorite drivers Saturday, May 28, as many of the 269 living veterans of the race plan to return for the spectacular, fan-friendly event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The "World's Largest Autograph Session" is one of the highlights of new fan attractions scheduled at IMS the day before the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500. Every living driver from the Indianapolis 500 has been invited to IMS for Race Weekend, with many indicating they will return, including some who raced in the roadster era of the 1950s.

"One consistent message has come through loud and clear during our conversations with fans - they love the rich history of the Indianapolis 500," said Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp. president and chief executive officer. "We have the greatest fans in the world, and we want to provide them with the history and memories they cherish. They are going to love it."

Fans will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reconnect with their heroes for autographs, photos and maybe even a little conversation during the new autograph session with veteran drivers from noon-4 p.m.

Other exciting features of the day include:

•A full-scale memorabilia show already so popular that vendor space sold out within 48 hours.

•A display of vintage sprint and midget race cars, with several driven by the greatest legends of the Brickyard: Foyt, Andretti, Rutherford and the Unsers.

•Book signings featuring authors of new books about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and its history.

•The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame Museum will be open with its incredible new exhibition of 67 Indianapolis 500-winning cars.

All of this entertainment will be presented along with the traditional offerings at the Speedway on the day before the Indy 500, such as the Field of 33 drivers' autograph session from 9-10 a.m. and the annual drivers' meeting with awards presentations and last-minute instructions. The Field of 33 drivers' autograph session will be enhanced by the inclusion of most of the 27 living winners of the Indianapolis 500.

Drivers from across the decades, some coming from great distances, have confirmed their attendance at this event and the entire race weekend. Three examples are Teo Fabi, Kenny Brack and Don Edmunds.

Fabi is traveling from his native Italy. Former Formula One and CART star Fabi won the pole for the 1983 Indianapolis 500 as a rookie. He also scored four victories the same year, finishing second in the championship.

1999 Indianapolis 500 winner Brack is returning to the Speedway from his home in London. Brack, a native of Sweden, won nine Indy-style races during his career and the 1998 IZOD IndyCar Series championships. He is also an accomplished musician best known in racing circles for his rock song "Legend of the Speedway" about four-time Indianapolis 500 winner A.J. Foyt, who owned the car Brack drove to victory at Indianapolis.

Edmunds drove a Kurtis-Kraft Offenhauser roadster to 19th place in the 1957 Indianapolis 500, winning the Rookie of the Year award in his only "500" start. Edmunds continued his career in sprint cars and midgets, earning Hall of Fame honors for his success.
Last edited by meteorite on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meteorite

Re: Indycar - regular reports

Postby meteorite » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Now - on to the action...

VERIZON TEAM PENSKE'S POWER PACES DAY 1 OF BARBER OPEN TEST

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(Monday, March 14, 2011) - A day earlier, Will Power was among numerous IZOD IndyCar Series drivers who relayed their predictions of the "tightest race in series history." He, of course, was speaking in season-long terms, though individual races definitely are included.

The first of a two-day Open Test at Barber Motorsports Park provided a preview. Seven different teams were represented in the top 10 of the combined time sheet for the two sessions (five hours total track time), and the top 18 of the 24 cars participating were separated by one second.

Power, who won five road/street races on the way to a runner-up finish in the 2010 championship, topped the field with a quick lap of 1 minute, 12.5056 seconds (114.198 mph) in the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car on the 2.38-mile natural-terrain course. Scott Dixon of Target Chip Ganassi Racing was second (1:12.5538) and Dreyer & Reinbold Racing's Justin Wilson was third (1:12.6791).

Five more hours of track time are scheduled for March 15 in preparation for the season-opening Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg next week. Barber Motorsports Park will play host to the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama on April 10.

DAY 1 NOTEBOOK:

Selected quotes from Chip Ganassi's media availability:

"You have to remember that motorsports is one of those businesses that as great a year that 2010 was, and it was an unbelievable year and one that any car owner dreams about, that was last year and this is this year. It's a zero-based game. We're starting back at zero and the points are all tied for all the championships. It's a new year and no one is going to forget about last year faster than our competitors that want to beat us. It's going to be a lot of hard work and to accomplish anything close to what we did last year, but that's why we are back here. That's the kind of challenge that we like and what attracts us to the sport, the challenge."

Is that why you've started the effort for Graham Rahal and Charlie Kimball?: "Yeah. It's something where we can develop some people and develop our team and bring people along for the not only our team, but also the sport. We're not just developing drivers, we bringing along crew members, sponsors, team members."

About returning to Barber Motorsports Park: "I just like coming to this place. It's a great place. It's nice to come to a facility that you can tell somebody put a lot of passion into it. It's always a pleasure to come here. You feel vindicated in coming to a place where the support is alive and well."

About the changes INDYCAR has announced for the 2011 season: "I was in favor of (double-file restarts). I think it's a good thing. We have to attract some fans and when you visually watch a race on television, it needs to look like other races. Let's face it; most of the people who watch racing on television are watching NASCAR. When they turn on an INDYCAR race, they should be able to see what's happening and it should look similar. If you're watching the NFL or college football game, the rules are pretty much the same and the look is the same and the field is the same. There are small differences, but they are basically the same."

About free pass concept: "I think it's a good thing. It's part and parcel of keeping cars on the lead lap and keeping cars in the race. I've heard the argument that we don't have as many cars and don't pass them as early, it's 26 vs. 43. I'd have to say I'm in favor of it. If you're going to do it, go the whole way. If you're more concerned about yellows, there's going to be more guys who are a lap down, so they're going to need help to get a lap back."

How do you add cars without diluting your other two cars: "We've approached this as if it were two two-car teams. They have separate buildings, separate management. About the only thing that crosses over is some engineering that works back and forth. I've said it's like the Hendrick model in NASCAR. For us, I don't see how four cars under one roof would work."

About Scott Dixon/Jamie McMurray ride swap: "They scheduled it on a day that I can't be there, but I'd sure like to be. It was my idea, so I can't believe I'm not going to be here. I'm happy to do it for our guys. I always like our drivers to experience other things. They know each other from the 24 Hours of Daytona, so it's nice that they can get into each other's cars. Often times you hear those guys talking about each other's cars. It's kind of interesting and nice that they can get a taste of it firsthand. I don't think you need to worry about Jamie coming to INDYCAR or Scott switching to NASCAR, but I think it's really going to be fun. And more importantly, I think it's going to make them both better race car drivers." Scott says he's not worried about Talladega. He's more worried about Jamie wrecking his car. "Tell Scott, it's my car."

About Firestone's return: "The thing I took away from it is that it's more than everyone being unanimous in keeping Firestone. I think it was more that Firestone set the bar high for any tire company to come it. They started in Indy Lights and they were in Indy Lights for a year, then they tested for a year at all the circuits with a real team and driver and then they came in the series. You just don't go look for a tire company on short notice. It's a tall order, so we wanted see what we could do to help their decision making process."

During the lunch break, Andretti Autosport announced that it again will join forces with co-entrant Richard Petty Motorsports and primary sponsor Window World, Inc., to field an entry for John Andretti in the Indianapolis 500.

Andretti, who seeks to make his 12th Indy 500 start, will drive the No. 43 Window World car with a traditional "Petty Blue" and "Day-Glo Red" color scheme. However, the livery featured on this year's entry was designed to commemorate the 1982 race-winning car of Gordon Johncock.

It's the third consecutive year that Window World will be the primary sponsor of the entry and the third year in a row to include participation from Petty.

"As a racer, the Indianapolis 500 is something that you love to be involved in," said Petty, owner of Richard Petty Motorsports. "Heading back to Indy in May with John, Michael (Andretti) and Window World is the way we want to do it and I'm really looking forward to it."

In conjunction with the effort, Window World and ABILITY Magazine have created the "$1,000,000 WIN-WIN" promotion that will provide one contestant the chance to win $1 million should Andretti win the '500.' That contestant will be selected randomly from a group of six semifinalists, with five representatives from designated U.S. regions and one representative from the national community of veterans, including active duty, retired and wounded warriors. The semifinalists will also be selected from a random drawing.

"No matter how many times you've done it before, it never gets old to announce that you're going to run in the Indianapolis 500," John Andretti said. "Winning the Indianapolis 500 has always been a dream of mine. To be able to have another shot at that is tremendous, and being able to make one of our military heroes a millionaire in the process would make it that much better."

The No. 43 will be a fifth entry for Andretti Autosport. Fifth in 1991 is John Andretti's best finish -- the same year he started a race-high seventh.

"It's great for us to be able to put this program together again for 2011," said team owner Michael Andretti, who is John's cousin. "Window World is a great partner, and getting the chance to work with Richard and John means so much to me personally. We learned a lot last year with John in the car and hopefully all of that will pay off for us this year. John is running the race for one reason and that's to win it, so we're going to give it everything we've got."

Sebastian Saavedra impressed Conquest Racing owner Eric Bachelart during the 2010 season finale weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway. They'll continue to work together this year.

Saavedra, 20, will compete in the full IZOD IndyCar Series season in the No. 34 Conquest Racing car, the team announced.

"I'm excited to be entering my first full season of IndyCar competition," said Saavedra, who advanced eight positions to finish 16th on the 1.5-mile Homestead-Miami Speedway oval. "I've been working a long time towards this and for it to finally happen is fantastic. I can't wait for the season to start. I know it won't always be easy but I am up for the challenge."

Saavedra, of Bogota, Colombia, made his IZOD IndyCar Series debut in the 2010 Indianapolis 500 (started 32nd, finished 23rd). In Firestone Indy Lights, he recorded one victory (Iowa Speedway) and four other top-five finishes in 11 starts. He was the '09 Firestone Indy Lights Rookie of the Year, finishing third in the championship.

"We're delighted to have Sebastian back with us and this time for the complete season," Bachelart said. "I think we can expect some good things from him this season. We're also happy to be keeping up our tradition of giving young up-and-coming drivers the chance to take their career to the next level."

INDYCAR CEO Randy Bernard said a decision regarding implementation of the "free pass" to complement its restart procedures would be announced this week. The feature gives the first car a lap down a free pass to regain its lap before restarts.

Alterations to the restart procedures, including cars side-by-side heading to the green flag, were announced late last week.

"As much as I want to do everything the team owners want, I want to make sure we first and foremost take care of our fans," Bernard said. "I've heard from a lot of them that don't want it, that it's too gimmicky."

meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:05 pm

ST.PETERSBURG RESULTS

IZOD IndyCar Series
Honda Grand Prix of St Petersburg
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Results Sunday of the Honda Grand Prix of St Petersburg IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.8-mile St. Petersburg Street Circuit, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):

1. (2) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
2. (1) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
3. (8) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
4. (17) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
5. (11) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
6. (10) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
7. (16) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
8. (13) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
9. (15) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
10. (6) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
11. (24) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
12. (19) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 100, Running
13. (25) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 98, Running
14. (20) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 98, Running
15. (22) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 97, Running
16. (3) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 96, Running
17. (12) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 96, Running
18. (5) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 95, Running
19. (21) EJ Viso, Dallara-Honda, 94, Running
20. (9) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
21. (14) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 58, Handling
22. (23) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 38, Contact
23. (4) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 1, Contact
24. (7) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 0, Contact

Race Statistics
Winners average speed: 89.260
Time of Race: 2:00:59.6886
Margin of victory: 7.1612 seconds
Cautions: 5 for 13 laps
Lead changes: 3 among 2 drivers
Lap Leaders:Power 1-4, Franchitti 5-70, Power 71-72, Franchit ti 73 - 100.
Point Standings: Franchitti 52, Power 41, Kanaan 35, De Silvestro 32, Sato 30, Tagliani 28, Matos 26, Meira 24, Servia 22, Wilson 20.

In the early stages the race was more a question of staying out of trouble than anything else, as Turn One is very wide so cars can run massively parallel up to it but everyone wants to clip the apex, rather like on the Cleveland track. And the new three-abreast start added to the chaos, as did the double-file restarts of which there was no shortage. The front row drivers got through OK but after that everyone was dodging or spinning all over the track. In the early running Will Power held his early lead for four laps then yielded to Dario Franchitti who motored off into the distance, only being briefly displaced during the tie change cycle.

After things settled down a knock-down, drag-out battle for second place between Power and Tony Kanaan developed, later joined by Simona de Silvestro who managed to catch up to the big names from 17th place without even using her push-to-pass button, though some very cagey blocking by Kanaan managed to thwart any further advance. But she has certainly shown herself to be a contender to be carefully watched, and who deserves a brilliant future in the sport.

Behind our guy Tagliani lost his duel with Takuma Sato and had to settle for sixth, but given the brawl for positions 2 - 3 - 4 the lesser squabbles drew little attention. Still, a decent season start.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:14 pm

AT BARBER MOTORSPORTS PARK

POWER COMPLETES WEEKEND SWEEP AT BARBER, WINS FIRST RACE OF 2011

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- After sweeping to the PEAK Performance Pole for the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama presented by Legacy, Will Power was emphatic that this was a race he wanted to win ... badly.

Power, who also started on the pole in the inaugural IZOD IndyCar Series race on the 2.38-mile, 17-turn Barber Motorsports Park course, finished fourth last April. It cost him points in the championship race over the course of the 17-event season, and he believed he let it slip away.

So the Aussie put an exclamation point on the picture-perfect spring weekend with a wire-to-wire victory. Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon was runner-up for the second year in a row and reigning series champion Dario Franchitti was third.

Marco Andretti, who wound up upside down on the first lap of the season opener two weeks earlier, finished fourth for Andretti Autosport and Oriol Servia continued to impress with a fifth place for Newman/Haas Racing.

Tony Kanaan advanced 18 positions to finish sixth and Helio Castroneves, the 2010 race winner, was seventh. Simon Pagenaud, who was filling in for the injured Ana Beatriz (broken wrist) came in eighth after starting 23rd. Simona de Silvestro earned her second consecutive top 10, while rookie Charlie Kimball recorded his first top-10 finish.

Also on April 10, Pole sitter Victor Garcia led all 40 laps to win the Firestone Indy Lights race at Barber Motorsports Park.

Driving the No. 22 TMR-Xtreme Coil Drilling car, he led Andretti Autosport driver Stefan Wilson across the finish line by 0.3125 of a second. Peter Dempsey finished third and Jorge Goncalvez, who started 14th, was fourth.

RESULTS

ZOD IndyCar Series
Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Results Sunday of the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 2.3-mile Barber Motorsports Park, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):

1. (1) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
2. (3) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
3. (7) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
4. (9) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
5. (6) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
6. (24) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
7. (4) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
8. (23) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
9. (13) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
10. (21) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
11. (20) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
12. (19) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
13. (15) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
14. (17) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
15. (12) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
16. (11) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 90, Running
17. (22) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 89, Running
18. (10) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 88, Running
19. (5) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 62, Contact

20. (14) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 62, Contact

21. (2) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 57, Contact

22. (16) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 45, Contact

23. (18) EJ Viso, Dallara-Honda, 40, Contact

24. (8) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 40, Contact

25. (25) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 30, Mechanical
26. (26) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 27, Mechanical
Race Statistics
Winners average speed: 92.194
Time of Race: 2:14:42.9523
Margin of victory: 3.3828 seconds
Cautions: 6 for 20 laps
Lead changes: 0
Lap Leaders: Power 1-90
Point Standings: Power 94,Franchitti 87, Kanaan 63, Dixon 54, De Silvestro 54, Servia 52, Andretti 44, Sato 44, Tagliani 43, Meira 42.

Sorry for the lack of commentary but lack of time means I must use the press release to get the post up in timely fashion.

MORNING AFTER ADDENDA

i was not originally expecting to see this race, as TSN had originally announced that to the extent they would carry the Indycar series at all, it would mostly be same-day tape delays on TSN2, their extra-charge channel which in my context isn't worth the price. But now it seems this can change, though the season listing is still extra-toll channel two to one. Still with more sponsorship perhaps this situation will change. And then there''s always ABC which apparently isn't blocked when they are broadcasting live and TSN is on delay. Might see more than we expected yet.

Barber Motorsport Park, on television, looks somewhat similar to Mosport Park, Seattle or Mid-Ohio, but with a tighter course giving spectator sightlines that take in most of the circuit. Quite spectator-friendly to all appearances, though the weather might be a challenge.

There are invidious comparisons developing now between the Indy series and Formula 1, especially regarding the quality of the drivers. There seems to be room for some question here; F1 does not seem to have nearly so many cases of drivers running into each other or falling off the road even though competition is as close or closer, and Monaco defines fight circuits. Indy definitely needs to clean up its ct while it still has a few chassis left.

Has Danica Patrick been spoiled by her adventures in NASCAR? Her decision not to take tires on the final pit stop paid off for about the first 500 yards of racing, after which it was a disaster. She should have come in and corrected the mistake at the end of the lap; I doubt she'd have finished any further back and might even have regained some ground. That sounded like she was poorly advised by her race engineer, regardless of who made the decision, and who should have over-ridden it.

Nice to see four-times series champion Sebastian Bourdais back, and Simon Pagenaud visiting from ALMS.

And despite the carnage behind him, and having to ace a dozen double-file restarts, Power earned his win in most impressive fashion, flag to flag and no sweat. Well done.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:32 pm

STREETS OF LONG BEACH

The streets of the city of Long Beach, CA, part of the greater Los Angeles area, have been around long enough to pretty well class as one of the historic venues for the series currently operating under the name of IZOD Indycar Championship Series and, like many street circuits, have many tales to tell. But they will have to tell it for themselves as it was not broadcast on any channel accessible to me. So here's what the press release says.

CONWAY SCORES FIRST IZOD INDYCAR SERIES WIN AT LONG BEACH

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Mike Conway, coming back from serious injuries suffered in a crash late in the 2010 Indianapolis 500, overtook Ryan Briscoe in Turn 6 of Lap 72 of 85 and went on to lead to the checkered flag of the 37th Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.

Conway is the first first-time winner of an IZOD IndyCar Series race since Briscoe in Milwaukee 2008. It was Andretti Autosport's first victory since June at Iowa Speedway. Five different teams were represented in the top five.

"His comeback is now complete," said team owner Michael Andretti, whose first and final Indy car victories came at Long Beach. "The first time we put him in a race car, I could tell he had potential. I'm just so happy he was able to (win) this early and win one of the greatest races here in Long Beach. I'm just so proud of him and the whole Window World Cares team."

Dario Franchitti, the reigning series champion, finished third to move back into the championship points lead. James Hinchcliffe, competing in his second IZOD IndyCar Series race, was fourth, and Alex Tagliani gave Sam Schmidt Motorsports a season-high fifth place.

Earlier in the day, Sam Schmidt Motorsports won the Firestone Indy Lights race with Connor Daly behind the wheel of the No. 77 Mazda Road to Indy/SSM car. Daly inherited the lead when the car of teammate Josef Newgarden nosed into the Turn 8 tire barrier of the 1.968-mile, 11-turn circuit and went on to win under caution.

IZOD IndyCar Series
Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
LONG BEACH, Calid - Results Sunday of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 1.968-mile Streets of Long Beach, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):

1. (3) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
2. (12) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
3. (7) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
4. (11) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
5. (9) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
6. (4) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
7. (20) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
8. (10) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
9. (13) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
10. (1) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
11. (19) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
12. (6) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
13. (16) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
14. (15) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
15. (23) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
16. (25) Paul Tracy, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
17. (27) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 85, Running
18. (8) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 84, Running
19. (26) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 83, Running
20. (18) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 82, Running
21. (22) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 81, Running
22. (5) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 78, Running
23. (2) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 72, Mechanical
24. (24) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 66, Mechanical

25. (17) EJ Viso, Dallara-Honda, 59, Contact

26. (14) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 37, Mechanical
27. (21) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Honda, 27, Contact

Race Statistics
Winners average speed: 88.676
Time of Race: 1:53:11.1000
Margin of victory: 6.3203 seconds.
Cautions: 3 for 12 laps
Lead changes: 7 among 6 drivers
Lap Leaders: Power 1-27, Tagliani 28-31, Briscoe 32-55, Hunter-Reay 56-57, Power 58-59, Dixon 60, Briscoe 61-71, Conway 72-85.
Point Standings: Franchitti 122, Power 115, Kanaan 87, Servia 80, Conway 74, Tagliani 73, Dixon 66, Briscoe 66, De Silvesto 66, Meira 64.

To all of which I will only add the observation that two Canadians, James Hinchcliffe and Alex Tagliani both finished in the top five, while Paul Tracy, who has been out of action far too long and had a less than lead pack car, did at least manage to finish on the lead lap, eve if just barely. We'd like to see better but for now, this will do.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Mon May 02, 2011 5:52 pm

STREETS 0F SAO PAULO, BRAZIL

Once again w3e couldn't watch, so must pick up the official report from Indycar:

POWER TAKES SECOND CONSECUTIVE WIN ON STREETS OF SAO PAULO

SAO PAULO (Monday, May 02, 2011) -Takuma Sato came up 10 minutes short of potentially claiming his first IZOD IndyCar Series victory. Will Power said "obrigado."

Power, the pole sitter and re-start leader of the rain-postponed Itaipava São Paulo Indy 300 presented by Nestle, came into the pits for a splash of fuel on Lap 36. Sato, who overtook Power on a Lap 25 restart, gambled on stretching the 22 gallons of 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol. But the yellow flag sought didn't materialize and the No. 5 KV Racing Technology-Lotus car had to pit on Lap 48 of 55 in the timed race.

Power inherited the point and went on to his second victory of the season and the championship points lead.

"Being on pole four times and had two wins is a great start," said Power, driver of the No. 12 Verizon Team Penske car. "It was a matter of keeping calm, getting past people without making any mistakes and then creating a gap to be safe."

Graham Rahal, who spun on the slippery rain-soaked course on Lap 26 while running sixth, finished second (his best since placing third at Twin Ring Motegi in 2009) in the No. 38 Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing car. Ryan Briscoe recorded his second consecutive top five (third) in the No. 6 Penske Logistics car.

Dario Franchitti also recovered from a slide in Turn 1 on Lap 33 to finish fourth. Oriol Servia was fifth, Mike Conway made up a lap to finish sixth and Justin Wilson was seventh. Sato wound up eighth.

Poor visibility on the 2.536-mile, 11-turn street course caused by persistent rain and approaching dusk forced postponement of the race until 8:05 a.m. (ET). The scheduled 75-lap race resumed on Lap 15. There was 1 hour, 19 minutes, 14 seconds remaining in the two-hour race window. The previous IZOD IndyCar Series race postponed because of weather was in March 2010 at St. Petersburg, Fla. -- won by Power.

and the official results...

IZOD IndyCar Series
Itaipava Sao Paulo Indy 300 presented by Nestle
SAO PAULO - Results Monday of the Itaipava Sao Paulo Indy 300 IZOD IndyCar Series event on the 2.536 mile Sao Paulo Street Circuit, with order of finish, starting position in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, laps completed and reason out (if any):

1. (1) Will Power, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
2. (5) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
3. (4) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
4. (6) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
5. (16) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
6. (9) Mike Conway, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
7. (8) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
8. (10) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
9. (11) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
10. (22) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
11. (23) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
12. (3) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
13. (26) EJ Viso, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
4. (15) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
15. (24) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, 55, Running
16. (18) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 54, Running
17. (14) Vitor Meira, Dallara-Honda, 53, Running
18. (2) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 50, Running
19. (20) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 48, Running
20. (13) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Honda, 46, Running
21. (7) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Honda, 46, Running
22. (21) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Honda, 46, Running
23. (17) Danica Patrick, Dallara-Honda, 46, Running
24. (25) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 31, Mechanical

25. (19) Raphael Matos, Dallara-Honda, 28, Contact

26. (12) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Honda, 20, Contact

Race Statistics
Winners average speed: 67.442
Time of Race: 02:04:05.2964
Margin of victory: 4.6723 seconds
Cautions: 6 for 21 laps
Lead changes: 2 among 3 drivers
Lap Leaders: Power 1 - 25, Sato 26-48, Power 49-55
Point Standings: Power 168, Franchitti 154, Servia 110, Conway 102, Briscoe 101, Kanaan 99, Tagliani 85, Dixon 84, Rahal 82, Sato 80.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 pm

MEMORIAL DAY IS COMING UP FAST

IZOD IndyCar Series
Indianapolis 500 Mile Race
May 29, 2011
At Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Car Driver Hometown Car Name Entrant
2 Oriol Servia Pals, Spain Telemundo Newman/Haas Racing Newman/Haas Racing
2T Oriol Servia Pals, Spain Telemundo Newman/Haas Racing Newman/Haas Racing
3 Helio Castroneves (W) Sao Paulo Shell V-Power/Pennzoil Ultra Team Penske Team Penske
3T Helio Castroneves (W) Sao Paulo Shell V-Power/Pennzoil Ultra Team Penske Team Penske
4 JR Hildebrand (R) Sausalito, Calif. National Guard Panther Racing Panther Racing
4T JR Hildebrand (R) Sausalito, Calif. National Guard Panther Racing Panther Racing
5 Takuma Sato Tokyo KV Racing Technology - Lotus KV Racing Technology - Lotus
5T Takuma Sato Tokyo KV Racing Technology - Lotus KV Racing Technology - Lotus
6 Ryan Briscoe Sydney IZOD Team Penske Team Penske
6T Ryan Briscoe Sydney IZOD Team Penske Team Penske
7 Danica Patrick Roscoe, Ill. Team GoDaddy Andretti Autosport
7T Danica Patrick Roscoe, Ill. Team GoDaddy Andretti Autosport
8 Ho-Pin Tung (R) Wenzhou, China Schmidt Dragon Racing Dragon Racing
9 Scott Dixon (W) Auckland, New Zealand Target Chip Ganassi Racing Target Chip Ganassi Racing
9T Scott Dixon (W) Auckland, New Zealand Target Chip Ganassi Racing Target Chip Ganassi Racing
10 Dario Franchitti (W) Edinburgh, Scotland Target Chip Ganassi Racing Target Chip Ganassi Racing
10T Dario Franchitti (W) Edinburgh, Scotland Target Chip Ganassi Racing Target Chip Ganassi Racing
11 Davey Hamilton Nampa, Idaho HP/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
11T Davey Hamilton Nampa, Idaho HP/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
12 Will Power Toowoomba, Australia Verizon Team Penske Team Penske
12T Will Power Toowoomba, Australia Verizon Team Penske Team Penske
14 Vitor Meira Brasilia, Brazil ABC Supply Co A.J. Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises
14T Vitor Meira Brasilia, Brazil ABC Supply Co A.J. Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises
17 Raphael Matos Belo Horizonte, Brazil Automatic Fire Sprinklers, Inc. AFS Racing
17T Raphael Matos Belo Horizonte, Brazil Automatic Fire Sprinklers, Inc. AFS Racing
18 James Jakes (R) Leeds, England Acorn Stairlifts Dale Coyne Racing
18T James Jakes (R) Leeds, England Acorn Stairlifts Dale Coyne Racing
19 Alex Lloyd Manchester, England Boy Scouts of America Dale Coyne Racing
19T Alex Lloyd Manchester, England Boy Scouts of America Dale Coyne Racing
20 Scott Speed (R) Manteca, Calif Dragon Racing Fuzzy’s Vodka Dragon Racing
22 Justin Wilson Sheffield, England Z-Line Designs/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
22T Justin Wilson Sheffield, England Z-Line Designs/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
23 Paul Tracy Scarborough, Ontario WIX Filters/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
23T Paul Tracy Scarborough, Ontario WIX Filters/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
24 Ana Beatriz Sao Paulo Team Ipiranga/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
24T Ana Beatriz Sao Paulo Team Ipiranga/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dreyer & Reinbold Racing
26 Marco Andretti Nazareth, Pa. Team Venom Andretti Autosport
26T Marco Andretti Nazareth, Pa. Team Venom Andretti Autosport
27 Mike Conway Bromley, England Hire Heroes USA/7-Eleven/Dr Pepper Andretti Autosport
27T Mike Conway Bromley, England Hire Heroes USA/7-Eleven/Dr Pepper Andretti Autosport
28 Ryan Hunter-Reay Boca Raton, Fla. Team DHL/Sun Drop Citrus Soda Andretti Autosport
28T Ryan Hunter-Reay Boca Raton, Fla. Team DHL/Sun Drop Citrus Soda Andretti Autosport
30 Bertrand Baguette Verviers, Belgium The RACB/Aspria RLL Special Rahal Letterman Lanigan LLC
30T Bertrand Baguette Verviers, Belgium The RACB/Aspria RLL Special Rahal Letterman Lanigan LLC
34 Sebastian Saavedra Bogotá, Colombia Conquest Racing Conquest Racing
34T Sebastian Saavedra Bogotá, Colombia Conquest Racing Conquest Racing
36 Pippa Mann (R) Ipswich, England Conquest Racing Conquest Racing
36T Pippa Mann (R) Ipswich, England Conquest Racing Conquest Racing
38 Graham Rahal New Albany, Ohio Service Central Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing
38T Graham Rahal New Albany, Ohio Service Central Service Central Chip Ganassi Racing
41 Bruno Junqueira Belo Horizonte, Brazil A.J. Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises
41T Bruno Junqueira Belo Horizonte, Brazil A.J. Foyt Racing A.J. Foyt Enterprises
43 John Andretti Indianapolis Team Window World Richard Petty/ Andretti Autosport
43T John Andretti Indianapolis Team Window World Richard Petty/ Andretti Autosport
44 Buddy Rice (W) Phoenix Panther Racing Panther Racing
44T Buddy Rice (W) Phoenix Panther Racing Panther Racing
57 TBA Sarah Fisher Racing Sarah Fisher Racing
59 E.J. Viso Caracas, Venezuela PDVSA – KV Racing Technology- Lotus KV Racing Technology – Lotus
59T E.J. Viso Caracas, Venezuela PDVSA – KV Racing Technology- Lotus KV Racing Technology – Lotus
67 Ed Carpenter Indianapolis Dollar General/Sarah Fisher Racing Sarah Fisher Racing
67T Ed Carpenter Indianapolis Dollar General/Sarah Fisher Racing Sarah Fisher Racing
77 Alex Tagliani Lachenaie, Quebec Bowers & Wilkins/Sam Schmidt Motorsports Sam Schmidt Motorsports
77T Alex Tagliani Lachenaie, Quebec Bowers & Wilkins/Sam Schmidt Motorsports Sam Schmidt Motorsports
78 Simona De Silvestro Thun, Switzerland Nuclear Clean Air Energy HVM Racing Nuclear Clean Air Energy HVM Racing
78T Simona De Silvestro Thun, Switzerland Nuclear Clean Air Energy HVM Racing Nuclear Clean Air Energy HVM Racing
82 Tony Kanaan Salvador, Brazil GEICO – KV Racing Technology – Lotus KV Racing Technology - Lotus
82T Tony Kanaan Salvador, Brazil GEICO – KV Racing Technology – Lotus KV Racing Technology - Lotus
83 Charlie Kimball (R) Camarillo, Calif. Levemir and NovoLog FlexPen Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing
83T Charlie Kimball (R) Camarillo, Calif. Levemir and NovoLog FlexPen Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing
88 Jay Howard (R) Basildon, England Service Central Schmidt-RLL Racing Sam Schmidt – RLL Racing
88T Jay Howard (R) Basildon, England Service Central Schmidt-RLL Racing Sam Schmidt – RLL Racing
98 Dan Wheldon (W) Emberton, England William Rast – Curb/Big Machine Bryan Herta Autosport with Curb/Agajanian
98T Dan Wheldon (W) Emberton, England William Rast – Curb/Big Machine Bryan Herta Autosport with Curb/Agajanian
99 Townsend Bell San Luis Obispo, Calif. Herbalife Schmidt Pelfrey Racing Sam Schmidt Motorsports
99T Townsend Bell San Luis Obispo, Calif. Herbalife Schmidt Pelfrey Racing Sam Schmidt Motorsports
06 James Hinchcliffe (R) Toronto Sprott Newman/Haas Racing Newman/Haas Racing
06T James Hinchcliffe (R) Toronto Sprott Newman/Haas Racing Newman/Haas Racing
07 Tomas Scheckter Cape Town, South Africa Team REDLINE Xtreme – Circle K KV Racing Technology – SH Racing
07T Tomas Scheckter Cape Town, South Africa Team REDLINE Xtreme – Circle K KV Racing Technology – SH Racing

Forty-one (41) entries, seventy-nine (79) cars entered. All cars use Dallara chassis, Honda engines and Firestone tires.
(R) – Indianapolis 500 Rookie; (W) – Indianapolis 500 Winner Issued: 5/9/2011
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm

PREVIEWING THE BIG ONE

This year is supposed to be the 100th anniversary of the first race at Indianapolis, and the hoopla is huge. There will be autograph sessions and demonstration laps by veteran drivers, endless parades, all sorts of off-track social events, even the official launch of a commemorative postage stamp. To say they will do it up brown is gross understatement.

But while it's the 100th anniversary of the first 500 mile race in 1911, it isn't the 100th running of the race - a few runnings were missed during the years of the two World Wars. Nor is it the 100th anniversary of the track, which opened in 1909. So it's sort of a sawoff - but when an excuse for a centennial celebration comes by, it's a once in a lifetime event, so let's not quibble about details and let the spectacle unfold.

Or at least, hope the weatherman cooperates. So far, it has seemed he has been trying to flood the Wabash along with all the other Midwestern rivers, but at least hasn't succeeded in that. But over half of the few practice hours have been wiped out by continuous rain over the Midwest and the forecast still doesn't leave much room for optimism.

At least a few practice runs have been achieved, with fastest times being held first by Alex Tagliani, then Will Power and Helio Castroneves. An interesting surprise was the performance of Canadian rookie James Hinchcliffe, who has been proving he has hold his own right up among the elite drivers. While the odds don't favour it, a Canadian winner is not out of the question and might be a better bet than many others. A first female winner is a little less likely since Simona de Silvestro had something break in the back of her car and hung it on the wall - she may still be hurting by Memorial Day and all the special Indianapolis bit were lost when the car burned, so she must use her backup. And Danica has won an Indycar oval race in the past.

Chip Ganassi is on a roll, his teams seem to be winning everything in sight. Andretti is due for a comeback and seems to be working on it. And The Captain can never be anything less than a favourite, with arguably the greatest success record in racing. Lead pack or dark horses, especially with the weather disruptions preventing the fine tuning from being accomplished, the event seems ripe for an upset. The underdogs have fangs and can bite.

So who will prevail? Let's just hope that the skies smile, the flypast can fly, the balloons can rise, and the songs can be sung with a special vigour and style. Centennial;s only come by once - let it be a good one.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sun May 22, 2011 6:39 pm

OUR MAN TAGS GETS THE POLE!

Yes, it's true - here is the official report from Indycar:

TAGLIANI WINS PEAK PERFORMANCE POLE AWARD AT INDIANAPOLIS

INDIANAPOLIS - (Saturday, May 21, 2011) -Alex Tagliani earned the PEAK Performance Pole Award presented by AutoZone in a winner-take-all "Fast Nine" segment -- in which seven different IZOD IndyCar Series teams were represented -- on a wild Pole Day for the 100th anniversary Indianapolis 500.

Twenty-four starting positions were filled on the first day, and the remaining nine will be determined on Bump Day. That also portends to be another drama-filled day as at least 15 drivers are expected to make qualifying attempts to secure a spot in the May 29 race. Once 33 spots are filled, bumping begins. Each entrant receives three attempts.

Tagliani, the final driver to go out in the Fast Nine, is the first Canadian to earn the pole for the 500 Mile Race. He recorded a four-lap average of 227.472 mph to swipe the award from Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon (227.340). Oriol Servia will join them on the front row.

"I'm probably going to be pinching myself until I go to bed," said Tagliani, whose No. 77 Bowers & Wilkins car for Sam Schmidt Motorsports topped the speed charts in practice throughout the week. "It's been an amazing team effort. We have a great group of people, and the additions with the other cars. I had good input from Townsend (Bell) and Dan (Wheldon) and it's been nice to work as a big group this week.

"I wanted this one so bad."

That's understandable, especially after being bumped from the field in 2009. He did start the race, however, replacing Bruno Junqueira in the Conquest Racing car and went on to earn Rookie of the Year (advancing from 33rd to finish 11th).

"This is a reward for Sam as well," Tagliani said about Schmidt, who is celebrating his 10th year as a team owner at Indianapolis. "He got involved and helped to continue it. He's an amazing team leader and this is a great result for him. I hope there's more to come."

Bell, IZOD IndyCar Series points leader Will Power, who started from the pole in the first four races, and 2005 Indy 500 winner Wheldon will share Row 2. Buddy Rice, the '04 winner, will be on Row 3 with Ed Carpenter and reigning 500 Mile Race champion Dario Franchitti.

Franchitti looked to be on pace to grab the provisional pole with an average of 227.043 mph through three laps in the Fast Nine, but the No. 10 Target Chip Ganassi Racing car ran out of fuel on the final lap. Dixon said his car also ran out of fuel -- just after completing the 10-mile run. Four Indy 500 winners participated in the Fast Nine.

"We were pretty close on setup with the Target car, but not good enough for the pole today," said Franchitti, a two-time race winner. "We were definitely good enough for third place. We obviously ran out of fuel at the end of the third lap and that was it. It's disappointing for us, but I'm happy for Sam Schmidt, Allen McDonald (Franchitti's former engineer), Alex Tagliani and their whole team."

A brief shower cut short the first round of qualifying by 23 minutes and limited the scheduled 90 minutes of the Fast Nine to one attempt by each entrant. After Rice posted a four-lap average of 225.786 in the No. 44 Panther Racing car, Servia popped in at 227.168 in the No. 2 Telemundo entry to move to second, where he sat until begin supplanted by Dixon and Tagliani.

"I couldn't believe we were in the top nine and then we decided to go all out at it and the Telemundo car was really fast," said Servia, who didn't compete in the IZOD IndyCar Series in 2010. "I'm just very proud of the whole crew. The work they put in over the winter, even with the uncertainty, when we didn't know 100 percent what the program was going to be. To be on the front row is just unbelievable."

It is the first time since 2004 that a Penske Racing car didn't qualify on the front row. Castroneves, a three-time race winner, will be on the inside of Row 6 in the No. 3 Shell V-Power/Pennzoil Ultra Team Penske car -- his lowest in 11 starts.

Rookie Ho-Pin Tung sustained a minor concussion in the only incident during qualifying when he No. 8 Dragon Schmidt Racing car made hard contact in Turn 2.

For the other Canadian entrants, James Hinchcliffe made a fine run for a rookie to finish 12th, but as the two dozen Pole Day winers were decided Paul Tracy was bumped from the final spot and did not have time for another run. He did look good enough to expect success on Bump Day. We'll be hoping for the best.
meteorite

Postby meteorite » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 pm

On Thursday Danica Patrick made it official, information that has been rumoured for months. She will shift to NASCAR after fulfilling her obligations to Indycar this year. (It's more complex than that, but let it be for now).

The press conference brought the following response from Indycar:

STATEMENT FROM INDYCAR CEO RANDY BERNARD

ON PATRICK

INDYCAR CEO Randy Bernard issued the following statement regarding Danica Patrick's announcement today.

"Danica has always been a great ambassador for INDYCAR, and there is no doubt she has left a positive impression on our sport. She has touched millions of fans and many that were new to motorsports. Danica attracted a fan base that every athlete and sports property in the world would love to have. We should give her a great farewell the rest of this season as she opens a new page in her career and wish her continued success with her new direction.

I for one find this response to events particularly generous and gentlemanly, and commend Randy Bernard accordingly.

Word is that Danica will continue in NASCAR with the Go-Daddy sponsorship but that Go-Daddy also wants to represented in Indycar so will also sponsor a car with the Andretti team. No details have been offered, but wouldn't it be nice of Tony kanann ended up in a first-line ride again? I at least would find that kind of neat.

Meanwhile, we know Danica can drive ovals, but can a 5"2", 106 lb. girl endure the length of a NASCAR race horsing around a big chunk of metal of NASCAR weight? It will be a challenge. We wish her well.
meteorite

Return to Open wheel racing