Power Washer Repair - to clean my engine

Building, or rebuilding, your own vehicle, including personal experiences, tips and techniques.

Power Washer Repair - to clean my engine

Postby kach22i » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Power Washer Repair , so I can do a valve adjustment on a clean engine.

Who knows how to repair a $99 Karcher power washer?

It worked great the first year I had it, but like the silicone caulk stored in my basement (would not cure) I think it froze in the winter.

I was expecting to find a plastic storage tank of some sort which had a crack in it. I opened it up and there is nothing like that in there, it's just a motor and a pump.

The O-Ring and three round rubber grommets look fine.

I did find a pinched clear vinyl vent line, it somehow got caught under an internal case flange. I 'm not sure when this happened, it seems to have been pinched for a while because it took some working to squeeze it back open.

The part I suspect is leaking has a metal bracket over plastic parts. There is a locking nut I cannot get to, but it looks fine. The part which appears to be two plastic parts force fit has a pretty good joint all the way around it. That is the part I glued with "Seal-All'.

Before I put this thing back together, is there anything else I should be looking at?

The power washer seems to spray/leak almost as much water out of it's bottom as is delivered at the nozzle. I take a shower every time I use it and roll into puddles trying to work under the car. The exposed connections are not the problem, it's something behind the outer yellow case.

The pinched vent line:

The inside of the inner case - if you ever wondered:

Did glue/seal job at arrows:

No water in the greasy O-Ring bearing/spring area of pump:
Vintage Porsche
Vintage Tubes
Vintage Hovercraft
Vintage House
Vintage Guy

George, Architect
kach22i

Re: Power Washer Repair - to clean my engine

Postby meteorite » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Sorry, kach, that's terra incognita for me. I assume being closed over the hose hasn't warped the plastic tank, so there's a misfit along a seal line.

Ever since a friend of ours ended a period of employment with Karcher on less than amiable terms, and disclosed his reasons to us, they are a manufacturer in whose products I have lost all interest.
meteorite

Postby kach22i » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:41 pm

meteorite wrote:Sorry, kach, that's terra incognita for me. I assume being closed over the hose hasn't warped the plastic tank, so there's a misfit along a seal line.

Ever since a friend of ours ended a period of employment with Karcher on less than amiable terms, and disclosed his reasons to us, they are a manufacturer in whose products I have lost all interest.

I did see they are a Canadian based company which surprised me.
Vintage Porsche
Vintage Tubes
Vintage Hovercraft
Vintage House
Vintage Guy

George, Architect
kach22i

Postby meteorite » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:21 pm

They may have spun off a Canadian subsidiary since I last looked, but they came here as very much a German company. They may have found enough of a market to smarten them up since. It wouldn't surprise me if like many others they found manufacturing in Canada for the North American market is the smart way to go.

But if their operation is here, perhaps you should fire them an email or even phone if necessary. Maybe they have learned enough from companies here with good habits to actually offer some customer service.

Maybe you should offer us a consumer report on the reception you get! :D
meteorite

Return to Rolling your own